TOMKAT RANCH AND FORK TO FARM INITIATIVE
The mission of TomKat Ranch is to provide healthy food on working lands in a way regenerates the
planet and inspires others to action. Through 2021, the ranch’s primary focus is to inspire the
transition of 1,000,000 acres of California rangeland to regenerative management and to catalyze
similar action across the United States. As part of this work, the Fork to Farm Initiative strives to
influence the way society eats through philanthropy, outreach, education, science, and our on-site
grass-fed beef business, LeftCoast GrassFed, to accelerate the adoption of regenerative
Position Purpose and Term
This is a paid, 1-year agricultural position with an average of 45 - 60 hours of work per week with a
flexible schedule that can include weekends, early mornings, and evenings. The Fork to Farm
Apprentice works with the ranch staff to assist with the operation of the ranch’s grassfed beef
business, philanthropy, events, and outreach. Apprentices participate in a variety of activities that
provide on-the-job training and instruction in regenerative agriculture and sustainable food
systems and learn the practical and theoretical aspects, mission, and goals of TomKat Ranch (TKR)
and LeftCoast GrassFed (LCGF).
This position is for people interested in gaining experience in regenerative agriculture and
sustainable food systems. The Apprentice will be expected to develop his/her knowledge and skills
to progress his/her career in regenerative agriculture and sustainable food systems and take part
in activities, meetings, and events on and off the ranch to further that pursuit.
Supervision Received and Exercised
The Apprentice receives direct supervision from the Food Advocacy Manager or his/her delegate
as appropriate. This position exercises no supervision. She/he must maintain high standards of
efficient, ethical, and professional operation for the well being of the Ranch’s staff, facilities, land,
animals, and resources.
Benefits and Compensation
This position includes on-site housing, full staff benefits (medical, dental, retirement, etc.), and
hourly compensation based on experience and education.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties
The duties described below are provided as examples and are not meant to be an exhaustive or
- Create social media content for TKR and LCGF.
- Assist LCGF in general operations and attend farmers’ markets.
- Provide support on grants and philanthropy for TKR.
- Assist in the care of TomKat Ranch’s on-site garden and assist with harvesting produce.
- Act as liaison between LCGF and TKR Land & Livestock Team for certification compliance,
marketing, and messaging.
- Support Fork to Farm outreach efforts including hosting on-ranch tours and groups and
creating/editing communications materials.
- Assist with general office management, administration, safety, and ranch tasks (indoor and
- Organize and manage visitor and contact lists.
- Help manage and mentor interns working with Fork to Farm Initiative.
Job Related and Essential Qualifications
- Great writing and communications skills
- Familiarity and/or willingness to learn social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram,
- Systems thinker
- Passion for regenerative agriculture and sustainable food systems
- Some culinary skills or deep interest in cooking
- Eager to learn
- Flexible and collaborative
- Exceptional customer service skills
Experience and Training Guidelines
A combination of experience, training, knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A
typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in food systems, environmental science,
nutrition, health, public policy, agriculture, communications, business administration,
marketing, or equivalent.
- Experience: Experience in ranch or farm work, outdoor education, sales/marketing, land
planning, social media, or business management.
- License or Certificate: Must possess a class C Driver’s License in good standing issued in
the United States.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to perform ranch related duties including 10+hour days (as needed) in winter and summer
outdoor conditions; safely exert a considerable amount of physical effort to hike on steep terrain,
stoop, crouch, climb, and lift as much as 50 pounds in performance of assigned duties; ability to
work around animals, farm tools, in freezers, in a safe manner; subject to outdoor working
conditions including exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold, rain, poison oak, brush, ticks; ability to
recognize and work safely around hazards associated with ranching, ability to travel to different
sites and locations.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “2019 Fork to Farm Apprenticeship.”