This position works in close partnership with the RCD Agriculture Technical Specialist and Soil Scientist as well as local organizational and agricultural partners to provide bilingual soil and water management assistance to farmers in Monterey County. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable about agriculture and natural resource conservation (applied agricultural practices, plant science, and soil science), must be a fluent speaker of Spanish and English, and should also be comfortable speaking to small groups and capable of organizing and giving simple reports.
This position will report to the Agriculture Technical Specialist. The position will be ‘regular’ (over 50% time) and eligible for benefits.
Financial compensation will be based on experience and qualifications, starting at $25/hr - $30/hr. This position includes full benefits including health, dental, and vision plans and CALPERS 457b retirement savings program with employer contribution. Professional team of co-workers in strong collaborative office environment with a highly regarded organization dedicated to supporting local land managers’ voluntary conservation efforts. The RCD of Monterey County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Hiring decisions are made based on candidates’ qualifications without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, genetics, or veteran, parental, or disability status.
- Assist farmers with on-farm tracking of irrigation and fertilizer applications and use Crop Manage software to provide recommendations for improved irrigation and fertilizer use efficiency
- Conduct irrigation efficiency evaluations and education activities with farmers in partnership with the RCD Agriculture Technical Specialist.
- Support development of the RCD’s compost and cover crop outreach, education, implementation, and evaluation program
- Provide winter cover cropping education and in-field assistance to strawberry growers to implement mustard cover crop in furrows
- Coordinate soil and water sampling and pump efficiency testing for farmers as needed
- Support RCD team members to track and meet project deliverables and provide supporting information for project development.
- Knowledge of and interest in conservation agriculture practices and issues in the Central Coast region
- Understanding of California agricultural systems, including crops, irrigation systems and design, and resource concerns; training in agricultural science (BS or BA or 4+ years relevant professional experience preferred); relevant degrees or areas of work may include Agronomy, Crop Sciences, or Plant Pathology
- Field Spanish fluency and experience working with the Latinx farming community
- Good writing and presentation and ‘people’ skills
- Excellent computer skills (for MS Excel and Word, internet applications, and learning proprietary software)
- Able to hop ditches, carry equipment, and work outdoors for extended periods
- Valid CA driver’s license, clean driving record
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and references to Aysha Peterson at email@example.com.