OVERALL ROLE: The Agricultural Land Stewardship Crew Member safely and efficiently works as part of a team to manage noxious and invasive plant species and improve ecosystem services, soil health, and plant and wildlife habitat on OSMP's agricultural land and adjacent natural areas. The role includes herbicide and mechanical treatments of noxious and invasive plant species, assisting with irrigating OSMP agricultural properties, maintaining agricultural infrastructure, seed collection and sowing, planting, and performs related duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU WILL LEARN ON THE JOB:
- Safe and efficient use of weed whips, tractors, and chainsaws
- ROV Basic Driver Course and IVES training group certification
- Methods and tools used to manage noxious and invasive plant species and rehabilitation of agricultural fields back to viable production
- Noxious and invasive plant mapping protocol
- Native and non-native plant ID
EXAMPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
Conducting Noxious and Invasive Plant Treatments and Other Land Management Actions (80%)
- Safe and effective use of various tools such as shovels, weed whips, chain saws, herbicide application equipment, tractors, and other tools and techniques as assigned.
- Perform surveys and mapping of noxious and invasive plant species using GPS technology and aerial photography.
Reporting & Communications (10%)
- Assist with recording detailed records of treatment actions, including species managed, treatments performed, and resources used.
Communicate daily with the team leaders on daily and weekly work plans and project status updates.
Crew Management (5%)
- Assist leading other staff, volunteers, and additional work crews on assigned projects.
Openly share successes and challenges to support team learning and individual growth.
- Assist with project logistics such as methods, equipment needs, time allocation requirements, and use of external resources to accomplish project tasks.
Coordinate timeframes, equipment, and materials for all work projects.
- Know and comply with all policies, including safety best practices.
Report all accidents, damage to city property, and/or policy infractions. Take proper safety precautions, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and act accordingly to prevent accidents. Follow safety protocol, including use of all proper safety (protective) equipment as described by the department.
REQUIRED CANDIDATE COMPETENCIES:
- Teamwork: Working effectively as a member of formal and informal teams. Understanding the interests and concerns of others and able and willing to share and receive information. Demonstrating interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together. Willing to help in any capacity. Demonstrates direct, courageous communication by openly sharing successes and challenges to support team learning and individual growth.
- Commitment and Dedication to Working Outdoors: Demonstrated ability to physically work 8-10 hours a day in natural areas or agricultural fields in all weather conditions.
- Vegetation, Agricultural, Restoration Tools: Experience operating and maintaining tractors with attached implements and/or heavy equipment such as skid steers and backhoes.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it. Completes work in a timely and consistent manner.
- Written and Oral Communication: Actively listens to concerns and is open to the ideas of colleagues and customers. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with the public and coworkers, with excellent customer service skills.
- Must have a valid drivers' license and the ability to maintain an acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Acceptable background information, including criminal history.
- Ability to lift heavy objects in an outdoor setting, often while hiking off-trail.
Term of Employment Start Date on or around: April 20, 2020
Term of Employment End Date: on or around November 6, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
To view the full job description and to apply, please visit https://bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/city-jobs. Make sure you apply to the "Agricultural Land Stewardship Crew Member" position.
This job posting is "continuous" or "open until filled." It will remain open for a minimum of 5 days from 3/4/2020 after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.