The Agriculture Manager/Farmer is a key role in driving impact at our organization. This role is the planner, manager, supervisor and primary implementer of the foundation’s agriculture program, including its CSA Program, volunteer program and on-going agriculture-based education initiatives. This role is responsible for the planting, weeding, irrigation and management of the produce and flowers grown on the farm employing organic and permaculture practices in a way that drives the foundations goals of educating the public on how to make the world a humane and sustainable place.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Selection, planning and planting of the fruits, vegetables and flowers for the heirloom plant program designed to support and complement the farm’s CSA programs and events.
● Management of seasonal and day-to-day farming operations based on organic and veganic practices, maintaining a balance of production needs and providing a pleasing experience for tours and events.
● Lead and manage planning, propagation and greenhouse work, crop planning, planting and rotation, soil fertility, composting, harvesting, post-harvest handling, irrigation, pest and disease control in a manner consistent with organization’s sustainability and veganic goals.
● Work with foundation staff to accomplish big events including community building and fundraising events.
● Develop and grow the agriculture program’s base of volunteers, including training, support and supervision in tasks that provide meaningful value.
● Order and receive farm equipment and supplies necessary to maintain the agriculture program.
● Maintain the agriculture program’s irrigation system, tools, fences and workspaces in good repair and in a safe and orderly fashion.
● Provide training and supervision to agriculture interns and seasonal employees.
● Assist in the preparation and monitoring of department budget.
● Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● At least 2-5 years of organic farming production and permaculture including crop planning, greenhouse, irrigation, cultivation, pest and disease control, harvest and post-harvest handling, CSA/market, and cover crop experience. Farm and crew management experience strongly preferred.
● Strong facilitation and group management skills, especially in an outdoor education setting.
● Knowledge of and experience with vegetarian and vegan diets, and farm animal welfare issues.
● Demonstrates a commitment to organization’s animal care and agriculture policies, organizational programs and goals.
● Passion for building community and deep relationships through food and agriculture.
● Positive, creative, flexible, and takes initiative.
● Ability to work independently, in team setting, and in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
● Completes tasks successfully and within specified deadlines: demonstrates strong time management skills implementing programs on time and on budget.
● Dependable with thorough follow through.
● Ability to handle multiple programs/projects at once; strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Good communication skills: verbal, written, electronic and with a variety of audiences.
● Highly competent in use of computers and necessary technology on a daily basis; additional software experience a plus (salesforce, farm management tools, social media).
● Physically fit to meet the demands of working on farm with youth, experience/ability to dig beds by hand and the ability to lift 50lbs.
● Experience driving a tractor.
● Utilizes and can exemplify tools or strategies for maintaining self-care and personal well-being.
● Willingness to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends as farm/programs demand.
● Valid California Driver’s license and vehicle for personal travel.
· Able to work in all weather conditions
· Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to clean facilities, vehicles or equipment may be a disqualification.
· Ability to stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently over the course of a full work day to effectively perform duties.
· Have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 30 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the assistance of another person for short distances.
· Nature of the industry there may be occasional exposure with dead, injured, sick, unruly or rambunctious animals in addition to exposure to parasites and infectious diseases.
· Must be available and willing to work holidays, weekends, evenings, overtime and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer deems necessary or desirable to meet the business needs.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org