Position Available: Seasonal Agricultural Operations Assistant
Bees N Blooms (http://www.beesnblooms.com) is seeking a part-time, seasonal (April 23 – September 7, 2020) Agricultural Operations Assistant to work on an 11-acre, CCOF-Certified Organic farm in Sonoma County just south of Santa Rosa at 3883 Petaluma Hill Road. The farm has a diversity of integrated activities, including the production of lavender, vegetables, cut flowers, and ornamental trees. We also open the farm to the public and host events such as weddings, picnics, retreats, tour group visits, and more. We are looking for someone who loves interacting with people and with a passion for organic and sustainable farming. The work involves all manner of farm tasks, including seeding, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, landscape care, livestock care, and farm maintenance. The position will also involve assisting with setup and takedown for events, and occasional help at the Bees N Blooms farm stand. The position is four days per week, 8 hours per day, on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from April 23 through September 7, 2020, with potential for additional part-time work in September and October.
Compensation: Hourly rate, $15-17 depending on experience.
Anticipated start date: April 23, 2020
Must be available from 9 a.m, to 5 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The team member will be involved with all aspects of the organic farm, including, but not limited to:
• Starting and transplanting seedlings and other plants
• Caring for plants in the field and greenhouse
• Maintenance of crop beds and nursery space, including tree nursery
• Weeding, mowing, trapping, and other pest management activities
• Harvesting and processing the harvest (cut flowers, lavender, vegetables)
• Caring for ducks, geese, and chickens
• General farm and landscape maintenance
• Assisting with setup and takedown for events
• Interacting with farm visitors to help them enjoy their visit and learn about the farm
• Flexibility to assist in other farm projects, such as honey bee care, staffing the Bees N Blooms on-site farm stand, and giving farm tours
• Preferably one year of previous work with plants (nursery, vegetables, vineyards, orchards, etc.)
• Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude
• Enjoys interacting with farm visitors
• Self-motivated, taking initiative to recognize and implement tasks that need to be done
• Able to maintain a lively pace of work each day
• Strong attention to detail and organization
• Ability to multi-task
• Interest in learning new skills
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting.
• Ability to work under challenging ergonomic conditions, including frequent crouching, bending, and kneeling, or using a weed wacker and/or mowing for several hours at a time
• Ability to lift loads of 50 lbs, such as bags of concrete and trees in pots
• Willing and able to work outside in all weather and tolerate heat
• Must have a work visa or be a U.S. citizen
• Must speak English well. Spanish language is a plus.
To apply: Please send a resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org describing your experience and providing the names and contact information for two references who are familiar with your work. Please include a short paragraph or two in your cover letter or email describing why this position is of interest to you and why you think it might be a good fit with your goals and aspirations. If a good match seems possible, we will ask you for a phone interview, followed by a visit to the Bees N Blooms farm. To ensure your application will be fully considered, please submit by March 6, 2020. Applications received after this date will be considered if an appropriate candidate has not yet been found.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Bees N Blooms is committed to equal employment opportunities. We do not discriminate based on an individual’s race, sex, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or on any other basis prohibited by law.