Manually plant, cultivate, and harvest vegetables, fruits, horticultural specialties and field crops. Use hand tools, such as shovels, trowels, hoes, tampers, pruning hooks, shears and knives. Duties include tilling soil and applying pesticides and fertilizers as necessary; transplanting, weeding, thinning or pruning crops as well as cleaning, grading, sorting, packing and loading harvested products.
Other duties may include vehicle and tractor use and maintenance; fencing and trellising work; involvement in all aspects of irrigation use and up-keep and other strenuous and skilled farming tasks as required.
Basic and advanced knowledge in crop growth and development, including weed identification and knowledge of seed production and harvest methods are helpful.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Planting or transplanting of plant seeds, flowers, herbs; train vines and transplant young starts
• Harvest field crops
• Understand, use and communicate technical information
• Must work well as a team
• Manual weeding by hand or using a hoe
• Dig trenches or holes by hand and build cold frames
• Understand characteristics of pesticide use and application safety standards
• Apply disease control techniques
• Use of basic hand irrigation (hoses, sprayers, misters, watering cans)
• Move irrigation pipe by hand, operation of irrigation pumps, include opening and closing valves or gates to adjust flows
• Use flood or gravity flow irrigation methods
• Follow safety procedures and hazardous material specifications
• Able to be flexible, hours adjust as work flow and weather dictate
• Other tasks asked by management
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions
• Must be able to lift and move heavy seed containers or equipment up to 50 lbs.
We will be accepting applications for this position through February 16th, 2018. For instructions on how to apply visit: http://www.territorialseed.com/Farm_Agricultural_Worker