City Farm SLO is a licensed non-profit that manages a 19-acre urban farm in San Luis Obispo California under the terms of a 20-year lease with the landowner, the City of San Luis Obispo. In operation since 2014, the organization’s mission is to manage the land for sustainable agricultural production, provide youth with onsite educational programs, and engage the community in the life of an urban farm. Most of the property is subleased by the non-profit to independent organic farmers to whom it provides infrastructure and administrative services. Between two and four acres are used for educational and community programming (see http://cityfarmslo.org and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh05WA8Ywv8).
Governed by a Board of Directors, the organization has entered a period of program expansion requiring the addition of an Assistant Director who will report to the Executive Director to support and help guide that growth.
• salary starting at $55,000-$65,000 depending upon qualifications
• comprehensive on-the-job training
• creative role in an expanding organization
• full-time position with flexible work hours and location
• beautiful, inspiring work environment
We seek a candidate who
• enjoys outdoor work with plants, animals and children
• collaborates effectively with farm manager, independent tenant farmers, farm educators, classroom teachers, school administrators, City officials, the agricultural and educational community, and donors
• is self-starting but open to learning through introductory training with existing staff
• is organized and systematic yet flexible enough to handle unexpected reverses and opportunities created by rapidly shifting circumstances
• is interested in exploring new ways to realize the City Farm potential
Preferred experience and qualifications:
• demonstrated capacity to lead a team
• proficiency in grant-writing, public relations, fundraising, and business management, including personnel and landlord-tenant management, budgeting, record keeping and reporting, and appropriate software and social media applications
• excellent public speaking and writing skills
• previous involvement with farm-based education programs, especially for at-risk or differently-abled students
• familiarity with urban farm operations, regenerative agriculture practices, and retail produce marketing
• B.A. or B.S.
Please send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org