The co-farm manager position is based at Avila Valley Barn, a 46 acre (20 acres in production), family owned and operated, mixed fruit and vegetable farm which is open to the public year-round. Through our scheduled fieldtrips and our open gates our farm offers a rare opportunity for the community to “get back on the farm”.
Avila Valley Barns current production focus is on an integrated mix of livestock, fruits and flowers to be sold at our onsite farm stand. Our farming practices lean towards a holistic approach that fosters healthy soils and biological communities. By keeping soils covered, reducing tillage, using natural and organic management materials, and making decisions that foster a healthy ecology we try to grow the soil that in turn grows our crops.
The co-farm manager requires a strong practical knowledge of regenerative agricultural skills and management. In this position, you will work closely with the owners/operators and other farm managers. Together farm managers and team are responsible for planning, planting, management, harvest and post-harvest handling of Avila Valley Barn produce for sale through our onsite farm stand as well as all appropriate records and documentation.
We are looking for someone to join our team who has a passion for regenerative agriculture and an eagerness to build better soils for a healthier system. Someone who wants to help take this farm to the next level producing high quality, nutrient dense food while building biologically vibrant and diverse soils. This position holds a lot of potential for personal and professional growth.
This is a full-time position working on average 50 hours/week. Weekly hours as low as 40 in the slow season and up to 60 during high seasonal “pushes”.
Key Job Responsibilities – To be done in collaboration with owners and other farm managers.
• Establish priorities and work plans for crew members, helping maintain daily flow.
• Serve as direct supervisor for farm employees. Providing feedback and evaluation on performance.
• Instruct farm employees in all aspects of growing and harvesting vegetables, fruits, tree crops and flowers, including but not limited to: crop rotation and planning, greenhouse and direct sowing, field irrigation, bed preparation, fertility, pest and pathogen management, as well as cultivation techniques.
• Record development and keeping of crop harvest and inputs.
• Direct player in overall farm vision and strategic plan for farm activities.
• Perform tractor work in fields and orchards, plan and manage cultivation activities; maintain equipment.
• Oversee management of greenhouse and plant propagation, oversee and manage the planning and implementation of weekly planting schedule.
• Manage irrigation systems, schedule and monitoring effectiveness.
• Manage insect and weed control, soil fertility sampling and monitoring and general field observations.
• Manage Avila Valley Barn livestock possibly including grazing goats, horses, cows and chickens.
• Represent Avila Valley Barn by attending and or participation in conferences, workshops, markets and events.
• 3+ years in on-farm agriculture. Management skills preferred.
• Able to comfortably provide hands on group and individual instruction to crew and community of diverse ages and backgrounds
• Self-motivated. Will have times working alone and must be able to perform well while no one is watching.
• Possess creativity, flexibility and the adaptability to problem solve and take initiative.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds repeatedly, wake up on time, and do physical labor for 40+ hours per week.
• Desire for long-term commitment, growth, and the farming lifestyle.
• Preferred: Bilingual in Spanish.
• Possession of a current valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Please email resume detailing relevant experience, Special skills and 3 references to Avilafarms@live.com (including co-farm manager position in the subject line).