The Assistant Manager position reports to the farm owner. This position is diverse in responsibilities and will include participation in many aspects of the farm work including seeding, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing produce, packing for the CSA and markets, and other farm tasks. The farmer will also serve as a mentor to the farm intern.
The average work week is 40 hours. Regardless of experience, applicants must be able to follow instructions and be focused on speed, efficiency and quality of work. Vegetable production work is strenuous and physically demanding, and applicants must be confident in their ability to efficiently perform this work on a daily basis and through the production season. A positive and flexible attitude is a must!
In terms of what it’s like to work here, you will be part of our very small crew- the owners, our intern(s), and you. Each day begins with a quick meeting to discuss the work of the day — many things are routines, but all aspects of the work have the potential to change on a daily basis as conditions shift throughout the season. We love this work and consider a job-well-done to be its own reward. We hope you feel the same.
The job duties, responsibilities, requirements, conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Diggin’ Roots Farm reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the business change.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
• Mentorship- Provide education and guidance to farm intern, giving and receiving feedback.
• Field work—seeding, transplanting, weeding, trellising, pruning, irrigation
• Harvesting, processing, packing produce, and delivering
• Recordkeeping – time studies, input applications, harvest yields, daily activities, and more
• Successfully and efficiently complete daily field and harvest tasks for CSA, and farmers markets
• Farmer’s market set up and sales
• Awareness and ability recognize where help is needed
• Two+ year(s) experience with organic agricultural practices and production
• Ability to follow instructions
• Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
• Attention to detail, flexibility, positive attitude
• Ability to work well in a team setting
• Ability to work alone and without direct supervision
• Clear, honest, and respectful communication
• Commitment to safety, efficiency, and quality in one’s work
• Exceptional customer service
• Ability to perform strenuous physical labor on a daily basis
• Ability to lift 50 lbs., adaptable to varying weather conditions
• Clean driver’s license & reliable transportation
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com.