A Farm Less Ordinary provides employment and a welcoming community to people with developmental and intellectual disabilities, while sustainably growing organic food for the metropolitan DC area. We are seeking a Farm Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of the farm as well as manage the health of the crops and field.
The Assistant Farm Manager coordinates and executes all aspects of the educational farm production, including but not limited to: field planning, greenhouse management, crop health, fertility, weed management, irrigation, tool maintenance and CSA coordination. The Assistant Farm Manager works closely with, and reports to the Executive Directors in developing and implementing new program initiatives for value added, site expansion and system design. This is a seasonal position that begins around February 2018 and ends in early October 2018.
Compensation: $12-$18, depending on experience in either farming or in working with the special needs community.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Develop and implement organic crop plan, long-term soil fertility plan, and pest management plan
• Oversee tillage and cultivation, including safe operation of farm equipment, irrigation, and greenhouse propagation
• Execute basic maintenance of farm facilities
• Maintain records and handle paperwork for county and state protocol and certifications
• Supervise and manage farm staff and interns in concert with Job Supervisors
• Coordinate and develop volunteer base
• Develop distribution infrastructure for CSA and value added projects
• Work with staff to meet financial goals and budget expectations
• Design sustainable and innovative farm systems for operational function
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Commitment to organic, sustainable farming standards
• Commitment to A Farm Less Ordinary’s mission and goals.
• 3-5 years organic farming experience
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds
• Experience and ability to coordinate volunteers
• Demonstrated communications and interpersonal skills
• Experience and ability working with people of all ages from diverse ethnic and cultural background
• Self-motivated and self-managing
• Excellent record-keeping
• Computer literate and proficient in Word, Excel, and Google Docs
• Flexible and understands unique challenges of farming in community and commitment to meeting those challenges on a daily basis
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• Experience working with people who have developmental and intellectual abilities
• Experience managing farms
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter to:
email@example.com, with “Assistant Farm Manager Applicant” in subject. Start date is mid-February 2018.