The Assistant Farm Manager position is located at Wild Willow Farm & Education Center in San Diego’s South Bay. Wild Willow Farm is owned and managed by the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County (RCD). This position is an at-will position and the employee serves at the pleasure of the Executive Director of the RCD. All RCD employees are required to work collaboratively and to serve as a positive role model for other employees by supporting the mission, vision, and values of the RCD.
The Assistant Farm Manager upholds Wild Willow Farm’s mission to create space for biocultural diversity and inspire people to connect to food, land, and each other. The production fields of Wild Willow Farm are the learning and demonstration grounds for implementing regenerative farming practices to grow nutrient dense food utilizing efficient methods that prioritize the health of the farmers, the soil, and surrounding ecosystem.
The Assistant Farm Manager is responsible for supporting the Farm Manager in the efficient and effective operation of Wild Willow Farm. This includes, but is not limited to assisting with planting, care, and maintenance of 1 acre of vegetable production, 0.5 acres of orchard, and various herbal and flower gardens throughout the property. This position also assists with general farm maintenance, supervision of staff, interns, and volunteer groups, community engagement, sales, and record keeping.
This position requires a 32-40 hours per week commitment and is funded through donations and revenues from classes, events, and the sale of produce, herbs, and flowers.
General Field Production and Instruction, Production Coordination, Volunteer Coordination, Outreach and Community Engagement
Desire to embrace the mission of the RCD to protect and conserve natural resources.
• Knowledge of, and experience with regenerative farming practices, including a practical understanding of: principles and practices of regenerative agriculture, soil health, water conservation, and integrated pest management. Common farm equipment, plant growth and maturation, irrigation system set-up, repair, and scheduling.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and perform physical tasks associated with farm work.
• Be in possession of a current California’s Driver’s License and auto insurance, as well as reliable transportation.
• Attention to detail in the field and customer relationships.
• Must be willing to maintain a flexible work schedule, working weekends and evenings when needed.
• Ability to work independently in an outdoor setting during various weather conditions.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County, c/o Gregg Cady at Gregg.Cady@rcdsandiego.org with “Assistant Farm Manager” in the subject line. For additional information, please contact the RCD by phone at 619-562-0096 or visit our website at http://www.rcdsandiego.org