Assistant Flower Farm Manager and Floral Designer
Sweet Roots Farm is looking for farmer/florist to join our family team. Field tasks would shift with the seasons, while creating arrangements for wedding and events will be a weekly focus. This is a part time and seasonal position starting April 1st and ending November 1st, with hours increasing from 20 to 30 hours.
Sweet Roots Farm has been in operation for 10 years, with the focus shifting to high quality flowers and floral design from our beginnings in vegetables. Our nursery business is in full swing from January through June. Plants get tucked in the ground starting in March, and each month we are able to focus more on the fields, harvest and wedding design. The last weddings we take are the second week of October. We are looking for someone who is a good fit with our small operation, primarily working with Deena and Robbie or independently to complete over 30 events through the season, including growing and harvesting the flowers to create them. This is an opportunity to learn how we grow and market certified organic flowers from seed to vase.
Design Studio and Events – 50%
● Prepare materials, clean and set up design studio
● Work closely with Deena to create event flowers within a particular style
● Design flowers with speed and efficiency
● Assist in delivery and installation of weddings and events
● After trained, be able to deliver and install small events solo
Field Work – 40%
● Propagation in the greenhouse to complete weekly sowings (mostly in spring)
● Transplant, weed, trellis, pinch, and mulch fields (mostly spring)
● Harvest over 100 different types of flowers at peak ripeness and with efficiency,
learn names of flowers and varieties
● Put together orders with high quality standards
● Harvest flowers in specific color palettes for events
● Weeks without events will be field and project focused
Office Work – 10%
● Be the “week of” point person to answer questions and check in with event planner(s)
● Build presence on Pinterest, open and maintain accounts on WeddingWire and The Knot
This job is the right fit for someone interested in both organic farming and floral design. Applicants should be punctual, self-motivated, able to work independently, a great multi-tasker, and have excellent people skills.
It is also entails hard work, outside in the elements: walking miles while harvesting thousands of flowers at the correct stage, and then bringing them into the design studio to quickly create beautiful arrangements that are delivered and installed to delight customers. The physical requirements include the ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting, repetitive motions, standing, bending and walking up to 6 miles on a big harvest day.
Your application must include:
● Minimum of two years on a production farm
● Cut-flower growing experience preferred
● Willingness to start work by 7am
● Willingness to work weekends
● Design portfolio with minimum 5 photos of your floral work
This is an hourly position starting at $14/hour with a $1 increase after a 90 day review. There will be various opportunities for self-directed projects with financial incentives.
The Hiring Process
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with the following information to
● Please include in your cover letter your goals in agriculture and floral design
● Other related skills
● Design portfolio with a minimum of 5 photos (okay to create arrangements
specifically for this application if you do not yet have a portfolio)
● Three references with contact information and relationship
We look forward to hearing from you!