Bluma Farm is going into its fourth season of production. Bluma is a 2 acre certified organic flower farm located in Sunol at the Sunol Ag Park. Bluma grows over 50 varieties of cut flowers and sells weekly to grocery stores and florists. Bluma also does occasional design work for weddings and events and has in the past done weekly arrangements for restaurants and offices. For more info on the farm visit Bluma’s website and instagram.
Bluma Farm was founded in the fall of 2014 by Joanna Letz. Joanna is committed to farming organically and providing high quality, organic flowers to the local market. Bluma is uniquely located close to her home of Oakland. She enjoys having friends, customers, and students visit her farm.
Bluma Farm is in production about half of the year. The farm employs up to 5 people during the height of the summer season. At Bluma you can expect to work hard, drink strong coffee and lots of water, and enjoy an abundance of blooms.
The Assistant Manager position involves working with a small team on all aspects of running a production flower farm. This includes overseeing tasks such as: propagation, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, bucket washing, harvest, post-harvest handling, and keeping work spaces clean and well organized. The position may include doing deliveries. Once the season gets under way the majority of the farm tasks are geared around the harvest and delivery schedule. The ideal candidate has at least 2 years of experience on a production flower farm (preferably in a management role), a strong work ethic, and is punctual. Must be able to lift 50lbs, able to work in all weather conditions. Must have a clean driving record and a current drivers license and have reliable transportation to and from the farm in Sunol.
The position starts Mid-March. Hours may vary depending on time of season, between 40 and 50 hours per week. In the height of summer we usually start work at 6:30 am and occasionally start earlier.
The position reports to the Farm Owner and works with a small field crew to complete all farm operational tasks. The ideal candidate will be able to work with a sense of urgency and efficiency during busy times and will effectively help manage a small crew. Most importantly, the candidate for the position has good leadership skills, good work ethic, skilled and experienced in all aspects of flower production, is punctual, and willing to work closely on a small team and who has a passion for organic farming and flowers. The ideal candidate also has an eye for quality and is competent and excited about keeping work places clean and organized. Competitive salary to be determined based on experience.
Reports to: Farm Owner and Operator Joanna Letz
• Works closely with the Farm Owner to help manage Field crew members to achieve the daily and weekly tasks that include but are not limited to the following:
- Greenhouse Propagation
- Field Plant outs
- Weekly/daily weeding tasks
- Weekly Irrigation tasks
- Weekly washing of buckets
- Head lead on weekly harvests of over 50 varieties of cut flowers
- tractor work
• Help Foster a healthy work environment
• Observes and reports crop and field conditions
• Assists in recording data about yield and time
• Help implement systems to keep the work spaces clean and organized
• Help organize and load orders for wholesalers
• Driving a box truck or cargo van for deliveries
Candidate Specification: Key Selection Criteria
• 2 years experience on a production farm, at least one year experience on a production flower farm.
• Demonstrated Leadership skills
• Demonstrated ability for detail oriented tasks.
• Experience with harvest and post harvest handling of cut flowers.
• Experience in greenhouse production and greenhouse management.
• Experience using hand tools for weeding
• Experience with tractor work
• Excited about joining a small crew on a 2-acre cut flower farm!
• Excited about working with the Farm Owner to implement operational systems so Bluma can survive for the long haul.
Critical Competencies for Success:
• Bluma’s mission is based on its high standards of quality in both product and organic farming practices. The Assistant Farm Manager position must be able to lead and motivate employees and demonstrate efficient and safe use of tools. He/she must have a good work ethic, be punctual, and have a good sense of humor. The successful candidate will be a team player who displays good communication skills.
• The success of Bluma is based on its ability to accomplish many things efficiently. The Assistant Farm Manager Position will have a mindset geared towards Bluma’s mission and vision of providing high quality flowers to the local market in a healthy and exciting work environment. He/she will be a proven leader who will focus on accomplishing daily and weekly goals with the larger picture in mind.
• The candidate must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and able to work in all weather conditions.
Other Personal Characteristics
• Ability to perform routine farm tasks (weeding, harvesting, planting, bucket washing)
• Strong work ethic
• Proven leadership skills
• Passion for organic farming and flowers
• Ability to take initiative
• Good sense of humor
• Punctual and reliable
• Ideal candidate has worked effectively as part of a small team with a wide range of responsibilities
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an application.
Please email your resume, two references, and cover letter detailing why you would like to work at Bluma Farm.
Please address application materials and any questions to:
Assistant Manager Position
Bluma is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.