Teach weekly garden classes to kindergarten through third grade students. Run monthly
community workdays focused on seasonal gardening and maintenance in Bay Farm’s Outdoor
Learning Center. Represent the garden program at Parent Teacher Student Association meetings
and within the larger Bay Farm School community.
- Develop and implement a continually evolving curriculum for weekly garden
classes that is ecologically minded, supports classroom curriculum, and maintains
relevance for kindergarten, first, second, and third grade students’ interests and
- Facilitate hands-on experience with propagating, planting, and cultivating in the
- Focus classes on cooking with garden produce and exploring the garden and Bay
- Use progressive classroom management techniques that allows for all students to
feel safe and engaged.
- Model respect and curiosity for learning, and encourage students’ interests,
talents, and healthy risk-taking.
Outreach and Communication:
- Organize and lead monthly work parties for Bay Farm families and oversee
community service hours for middle and high school volunteers.
- Cultivate communication and relationships with Bay Farm School staff and
- Build involvement in and commitment to the school garden within the Bay Farm
School community, including teachers, administrators, students, parents and
- Cultivate beneficial community partnerships within Bay Farm School, the
Alameda Unified School District, and the larger Alameda community.
- Organize and run web-based and physical avenues of communication, i.e. campus
billboards, garden pages on the school website, and the school-wide
communication platform, Konstella.
Ideal candidate has:
- Experience with teaching developmentally and culturally diverse K-3 students.
- Experience maintaining edible gardens.
- Worked in a volunteer recruitment role and is comfortable engaging with families.
- An enthusiastic, outgoing, and flexible personality.
- Fluency in other languages is a plus.
Position is open until filled, please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter to:
Jim Cartan, former lead Garden Educator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Garden Educator” and the grade levels in the title of your email.