Habitera Farms is an 84-acre organic farm that grows premium fruits in the farming community of Brentwood in Northern California. We are looking for a seasoned farm executive with 7+ years of farming experience to focus on leading day-to-day operations, including: the farm’s budget, infrastructure, team, marketing, branding, and sales. This individual will be in charge of managing the farm, and helping to create a great collaborative culture while maintaining maximum profitability. The General Manager will report to Anil Godhwani, who is one of three owners of the farm.
• Run existing operations, crops, staff, and financial documents to enable all systems and processes to run smoothly.
• Manage a growing team of farm staff, including occasional contractors and handymen, as well as seasonal labor for picking months (May & June).
• Conduct interactions with all employees, customers, vendors & partners with respect and build a collaborative work environment and culture.
• Responsible for the profit and loss of Habitera Farms
• Ensure that the farm runs profitability and maximizes profits with a long term mindset.
• Maintain budget and accurate financial records to ensure the farm is profitable and meets projected financial targets.
• Oversee accounting team to handle paperwork and keeping administrative records for sales and purchases.
Infrastructure and Safety
• Plan and coordinate the building of infrastructure which includes a barn, cooling center and a couple of additional dwelling units (ADU’s).
• Ensure our infrastructure including equipment and machinery is in great condition at all times by scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery as needed.
• Maintain compliance with government regulations and health, safety and food safety standards
• Getting our Organic Certification and maintaining organic standards
Harvest and Post-Harvest Handling
• Hire sufficient seasonal labor for harvest and post harvest handling.
• Create excellence in the shaking and catchment system as well as post harvest handling in cold storage till the berries are delivered to customers within 24-48 hours from the time they are picked.
Marketing & Sales
• Oversee an outside marketing agency/consultant and collaborate to develop a market for Himalayan Mulberries in California.
• Manage branding and messaging on the farm’s website and social media accounts for the “Very Mulberry” brand.
• Design and execute a sales plan to sell the mulberries and derivative products direct to customers, via CSA’s, Online Delivery companies, farmers markets and wholesale relationships to always have more demand than supply.
• Create and maintain professional relationships and networks to grow sales for the farm and establish distribution routes and deliveries.
• Perform R&D in various areas including derivative products, water management and other key areas.
• 7+ years of experience in farming
• 5+ years of management experience
• 5+ years of P&L responsibility
• A positive, collaborative and solutions oriented attitude
• Great team building skills
• A passion for organic, sustainable farming
• Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
• The ability to make decisions in stressful environments
• Superb communication and interpersonal skills
Please use the following link to apply directly for the position on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/berry-farm-general-manager-5a1a18161b7073e9