Terra Nova Ecological Landscaping is looking for an upbeat, energetic, bicycle-friendly Maintenance Assistant to join our team. Days are Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30am to 4:30 or 5:00pm, with paid lunch. Additional hours are available on a flexible basis. We provide high quality service to residential and commercial customers without the use of toxic chemicals or gas-powered equipment, such as blowers. We practice ecological methods.
The Maintenance Assistant will assist the Maintenance Manager, performing landscape maintenance on a bicycle route and a truck route. Bicycle routes are in the flats (Westside and Seabright neighborhoods) and truck routes are in the Greater Santa Cruz area. This is a fast-moving position where you may visit 2-7 clients in a day, as a team of two. The work is typical maintenance, – weeding, raking, sweeping, fertilizing, pruning, deadheading, etc. We only have a few lawns, so there is not much mowing, and we don’t use blowers.
Required Abilities & Experience:
•Some garden maintenance experience
• Fit enough to ride a bicycle with a trailer with tools
• Punctual, with good time management skills
• Detail-oriented, and able to follow directions
• Must have a smart phone, pruning shears, and gloves
• Can lift 50 lbs. or more
• High school diploma; some college preferred
• Light online skills (for time reporting) and email
• Love working outdoors with plants
• Enjoy bike-riding
• Positive, can-do attitude
• Cooperative, flexible and patient
• Neat appearance
• Fun to work with
Desired, but not required:
• 1 year minimum horticulture, gardening, landscaping or nursery experience
• Horticultural education or landscaping certification
• Planting experience
• Drip irrigation experience
• Internet and computer skills
• Establish and maintain cordial, cooperative relationships with co-workers
• Communicate personal issues that may affect performance
• Submit vacation requests as soon as possible so that proper coverage can be provided
DAYS/ HOURS: Monday-Tuesday, 8:30am-5:00pm, minimum. More hours are available if desired.
COMPENSATION: $13-16 depending upon experience.
• Paid holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, when they fall on work days
• Up to 48 hours paid sick leave per year (accrues over time)
• Paid lunch time
SUPERVISOR: Report to owner and manager
Please send an introductory email about yourself, including why you are interested in this job and how your background makes you a good candidate. Include a resume and three references with contact information (email and phone) to firstname.lastname@example.org.