The Farm to Market Coordinator will play a key role on our Farm to Market team by supporting CA small farmers, especially Spanish speaking farmers in the Central Coast. The Coordinator will work with other team members to deepen and expand relationships with farmers, buyers and partners, and address supply chain logistics to secure sales and provide capacity building training and resources. A successful candidate will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, computer literate, have technical knowledge of farming and/or supply chain coordination (i.e. purchasing), and adept in both English and Spanish. TheyThey will also implement CAFF’s Racial Equity goals and practices throughout their work.
CAFF is a California-based membership nonprofit organization that includes family farmers and other community members passionate about local food, farming, and the environment. CAFF’s mission is to build sustainable food and farming systems through policy advocacy and on-the-ground programs that create more resilient family farms, communities and ecosystems. The Farm to Market Program within CAFF works with farmers, aggregators and direct wholesale buyers, as well as direct-to-consumer markets, to facilitate sales and help actors throughout the supply chain increase their capacity to connect local farmers to market channels.
As a farmer-serving organization, we recognize the historic and lasting inequities in the California food and farming system. We believe farmers of color, and other historically oppressed people, should have the opportunity to create and participate in a food and agriculture system that aligns with their needs, values, identities, knowledge systems, and communities. We commit to advancing racial, gender, and environmental justice in our larger systems, as well as in our own workplace. Currently our programming is focused in four areas: Farm to Market, Policy & Advocacy, Farmer Services, and Ecological Farming. To learn more about CAFF, our history, and our core values, visit https://www.caff.org/about.
Provide Farm to Market Technical Assistance to Farmers :
- Provide bilingual support (English & Spanish) to farmers, buyers, distributors, and partners with a focus on building strong connections between these entities.
- Help implement various grant funded Farm to Market projects.
- Support the development and delivery of market-support trainings (webinars, workshops, farm tours, etc.) for partners and farmers statewide.
- Provide supply chain consulting to farmers and buyers to achieve sales.
- Work with Directors and Program Specialists to identify buyer needs and support farmers to meet them.
- Keep detailed records of sales and interactions to support the Farm to Market programs data collection efforts
Strengthen Farming Communities:
- Support opportunities for California’s farming community to gather, build trust, and deepen community, especially on the Central Coast and adjacent communities.
- Develop and expand collaborative sales relationships among farmers in CA, especially on the Central Coast and adjacent communities.
- Professionally represent the organization to a diverse array of stakeholders.
General CAFF responsibilities :
- Occasionally support local and statewide CAFF events and organizational initiatives, like the California Small Farm Conference
- Participate in weekly CAFF staff meetings and annual retreat.
- Participate and contribute to racial equity action planning discussions.
- Participate in local grassroots engagement efforts, including outreach and relationship building with farmers in your local community.
- Represent CAFF by participating in community activities and events as necessary.
- Participate in other administrative tasks as needed.
- Contributes to annual program strategy development.
We know it’s impossible to convey every single task for a particular job in one job description. Our hope is that as we work together, and your role evolves over time, we can adjust your job description accordingly
Educational and Work Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent
At least 2 years experience working in a farmer support and/or sales position, ideally with a nonprofit organization
Professional or lived experienceProfessional or lived experience working with farmers and/or buyers in sustainable agriculture, or related fields preferred. However, more important than hands-in-the-dirt agricultural experience is a passion for food systems work and CAFF’s mission and values.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Strong attention to detail and accuracy
Strong organizational skills with an ability to handle competing demands
Effective oral communication skills in English and Spanish as well as effective written communication skills in English
Ability to work independently and remotely
Strong computer skills, including above average knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Google Suite
Willing and able to maintain strict confidentiality and professionalism
Ability to work independently and remotely while under COVID-19 restrictions
Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume, with the subject line “Farm to Market Coordinator-Central Coast” to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 30, 2022. Earlier submissions are encouraged. Reference requests will be made further along in the application process. To view the full job description go to caff.org/jobs-at-caff/