The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the US Forest Service’s Lassen and Plumas National Forests are recruiting Botany Technicians. These are field oriented positions that will be completing surveys or implementing invasive weed treatments in response to burned area restoration within the Dixie Fire burn scar. Data related to invasive plant infestations will be collected using a variety of methods including field forms, tablets (using apps such as Avenza, Survey123, and Field Maps), and GPS programs. Technicians are responsible for data quality assurance and quality control, ensuring all data is entered into the appropriate databases of record, and for compiling and summarizing data for reports.
Botany Technicians will also assist with implementing the USFS Noxious Weed Management Program by treating existing infestations, mapping infestation ranges, and conducting Early Detection Rapid Response (EDRR) surveys. Treatments will include the use of manual and mechanical control measures including hand pulling, clipping, tarping, and the use of gas-powered weed eaters and herbicide application. Technicians will have data management responsibilities similar to those described for rare plant work.
Botany Technicians will be stationed at the Boulder Creek Work Station on the Plumas National Forest and will serve under the direction of USFS Staff. Field work will occur in remote locations, where cellular connections are unavailable or inconsistent. Field conditions may include hot summer weather, potential thunderstorms, poison oak, insect bites, and wildlife encounters. Candidates should have good physical fitness, the ability to operate vehicles safely on rough, narrow roads, including the use of 4WD, and the ability and willingness to hike steep slopes and endure hot temperatures throughout the summer.
Compensation and Benefits:
• $18/hour depending on experience
• $7.25 Per diem for days in the field
• Campground provided with shower and bathroom
• Paid time off, sick leave, and holidays
• Paid health insurance, with optional vision and dental insurance
• Professional development and technical training opportunities
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Treat invasive plant infestations (Treatments primarily involve using herbicides, but may also be accomplished by hand-pulling and/or using hand tools, power tools, mowers, and other standardized control methods);
- Identify non-native plant species using various field guides and survey methods for target plants;
- Collect data on infestation location and status;
- Accurately data related to invasive plant treatments according to specific protocols; and
- Perform basic mathematical calculations related to herbicide mixing and applications.
- Lead field crews and manage logistics during training and while working on conservation projects
- Accurately prepare data for submission to agency partners
- Responsible for the safety of crew and general public
- Ensure projects are complete to the highest standards
- The position requires some knowledge or interest of methods and procedures used botanical surveys (e.g., visual encounter surveys, plant identification).
- The duties require some knowledge of the basic principles of botanical resources.
- Current Driver License with clean driving record (must qualify to drive GBI Vehicles)
- Ability to self-motivate and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to walk long distances in challenging terrain and harsh and rapidly changing mountainous conditions, and otherwise be in good physical condition;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
- Ability to live and work in rural and remote field and office setting; and
- Ability to work on a variety of different projects with changing priorities.
- Possess a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record; and