This job as our blueberry cultivator is a full-time position. We are searching for someone to manage our current production area as well as complete an expansion project on our new ranch. This position would be focused on monitoring the plants and production zones, delegating tasks to be completed by our labor crew, facilitating harvests, and communicating with buyers to market the fruit. We have a solid team of workers that are available to complete basic plant maintenance tasks (i.e. weeding, hoop house maintenance, pruning, trellising). You would be working closely with them as well as our plant health team to ensure the well-being of our cane bushes.
Site: At our primary ranch, we currently have a total of four and a half acres of blueberries in hydroponic production under hoop houses. This will increase up to a total of seven acres by the end of summer after we complete infrastructure build outs and move plants around. Our picking season begins roughly mid-February and extends all the way through mid-July. We are also taking on another 5 acre property with hydroponic blueberries in Aromas, CA. The fruiting season at this location begins a bit earlier around November and extends into February.
Compensation: $15-20/hour based on experience level with incentivized profit share.
• Manage all aspects of plant health and maintenance
• Service irrigation weekly
• Leaf sampling for sap analysis monthly
• Formulate and adjust foliar & fertigation recipes in communication with our plant health team
• IPM scouting
• Manage harvest crews & quality control of fruit
• Coordinate with buyers & local CSA's to market fruit
• Delegate labor for daily as well as annual tasks (i.e. weeding, pruning, trellising, etc.)
• Planning and staying one step ahead of farm crew in carrying out daily tasks
• Cultivate weeds in hoop houses
• Record-keeping, suggesting, and implementing system improvements
• Manage our expansion to our new ranch
• Must be able to speak Spanish proficiently
• Past experience working at a production farm or in an agricultural setting
• Agriculture/Horticulture degree preferred but not necessary
• Ability to drive a tractor also useful
• Positive attitude and ability to motivate others
• Confidence and communication skills to lead large labor crews
• Physically fit (i.e. can lift at least 50 pounds) and able to work in variable climate conditions
Please send your resume, references, and cover letter to Garrett Badano @ email@example.com