Habitera Farms is an 84-acre organic farm that grows premium fruits in the farming community of Brentwood in Northern California. We are looking for a leader with 8-10 years of farming experience to focus on both the long term vision along with day-to-day operations, including the farm’s budget, infrastructure, team, marketing, branding, and sales. This individual will be in charge of growing and scaling the farm, helping create a great collaborative culture while maintaining maximum profitability. The CEO will report to Anil Godhwani, who is one of three owners of the farm.
● Highly competitive salary
● Equity and generous profit sharing
● Three weeks Paid Time Off (PTO)
● Medical benefits / stipend
● Runs existing operations, crops, staff, and financial documents to enable all systems and processes to run smoothly.
● Manages a growing team of farm staff, including occasional contractors and handymen, as well as seasonal labor for picking months (May & June).
● Conduct interactions with all employees, customers, vendors & partners with respect and build a collaborative work environment and culture.
● Responsible for the profit and loss of Habitera Farms
○ Ensure that the farm runs profitability and maximizes profits with a long term mindset.
○ Maintain budget and accurate financial records to ensure the farm is profitable and meets projected financial targets.
○ Oversee accounting team to handle paperwork and keeping administrative records for sales and purchases.
Operations & Infrastructure
● Infrastructure and Safety
○ Plan and coordinate the building of infrastructure which includes a barn, cooling center and a couple of additional dwelling units (ADU’s).
○ Ensure our infrastructure including equipment and machinery is in great condition at all times by scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery as needed.
○ Maintain compliance with government regulations and health and safety standards including getting and maintaining our Organic Certification.
● Harvest and Post Harvest Handling
○ Hire sufficient seasonal labor for harvest and post harvest handling.
○ Create excellence in the shaking and catchment system as well as post harvest handling in cold storage till the berries are delivered to customers within 24-48 hours from the time they are picked.
Marketing & Sales
● Marketing & Branding
○ Develop a market for Himalayan Mulberries in California.
○ Manage branding and messaging on the farm’s website and social media accounts for the “Very Mulberry” brand.
○ Design and execute a sales plan to sell the mulberries and derivative products direct to customers, via CSA’s, Online Delivery companies, farmers markets and wholesale relationships to always have more demand than supply.
○ Create and maintain professional relationships and networks to grow sales for the farm and establish distribution routes and deliveries.
Innovation & Expansion
● Perform R&D in various areas including derivative products, water management and other key areas.
● Explore potential expansion plans in Northern and Southern California and move forward with implementation following approval from owners.
● 8-10 years of experience in farming
● 5+ years of management experience
● 5+ years of P&L responsibility
● A positive, collaborative and solutions oriented attitude
● Great team building skills
● A passion for organic, sustainable farming
● Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
● The ability to make decisions in stressful environments
● Superb communication and interpersonal skills
If interested in the position, please email your resume to danielle[at]myfamilylounge[dot]com