Status: Half-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Director of Communications and Philanthropy
Primary Office: Aptos, with remote work as necessary
Salary: $25-30K commensurate with experience
California FarmLink invests in the prosperity of farmers and ranchers through lending,
education, and access to land. FarmLink envisions a healthy food system where farmers and
ranchers have equitable opportunities to build wealth and conserve natural resources. We value
equitable access to opportunity, resilient working landscapes, fairness and accountability, and
learning from diverse farmers and ranchers.
The communications associate plays a key role in supporting effective engagement and allyship
with farmers. This is an opportunity to provide farmers with information they want and create
avenues for engagement with clients and supporters to achieve organizational goals. The ideal
candidate for this position will be a highly organized self-starter who enjoys contributing to a
collaborative team environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Associate coordinates communications activities that support prosperity
for farmers and ranchers and promotes California FarmLink’s mission, programs, and brand.
The associate is an integral member of a team focused on equitable access to opportunity for
farmers and ranchers, and working in partnership with public agencies, donors, funders,
investors, and other nonprofits. Primary responsibilities include:
● Manage social media including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn with a focus
on storytelling, core messaging, opinion-sharing and adherence to brand guidelines.
● Manage WordPress website including assembling web pages, land listings, and
publishing and promoting materials online.
● Manage the production of email marketing, including quarterly newsletters and other
messages, as well as email acquisition strategies.
● Work with communications and program staff to develop and share original video and
photographic content including farmer profiles, educational content/presentations, and
stories and testimonials from the FarmLink community.
● Collaborate with program staff, board members and volunteers to expand original
photographic, video, and written content capturing FarmLink’s work.
● Coordinate marketing to promote land and loan programs, including news distribution,
Google AdWords and paid advertising.
● Leverage social media and website platforms to launch crowd-sourced content
campaigns related to land and loan programs.
● Write original content including farmer profiles and program-related storytelling in ways
that emphasize diverse farmers’ voices and Farmlink’s mission, vision, and values.
● Coordinate with our design consultant to maintain brand strategy for educational and
collateral materials, social media, educational campaigns, and events.
● Coordinate service providers for audio transcription and/or language translation.
● Help to ensure consistent message, tone, voice and proper grammar and spelling across
all content and communications.
● Two or more years’ communications and/or marketing experience and strong interest in
FarmLink’s mission, vision, and values.
● Experience with social media strategy and communications/planning tools including
Hootsuite, Asana, WordPress and video and presentation tools including Adobe
Premiere Elements™ Adobe Spark™ or similar.
● Strong sense for storytelling, inquisitive mindset, and ability to identify and express
meaningful nuances in stories of FarmLink’s work.
● Demonstrated ability to capture impactful photographic and video content with DSLR
cameras and/or smartphones.
● Spanish language skills strongly preferred, along with passion for working with ethnically
and racially diverse communities to create economic opportunity and promote social
● Ability to manage multiple projects on deadlines, collaborate with diverse colleagues and
partners, and be open to editorial direction.
● Current drivers’ license and ability to visit farms, occasionally in remote rural locations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and the
organization, along with a resume and work samples (written and/or visual) to
email@example.com No phone calls please. Applications accepted on a rolling basis; position
open until filled; priority screening date is May 27, 2020.
This is a part-time, exempt position, and includes a six-month introductory or probationary
period. California FarmLink offers a generous benefits plan, including health insurance after 60
days, employer contribution to a 403b retirement plan after one year, life insurance, paid
vacation, and a family-friendly and flexible work environment. California FarmLink maintains a
drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates that represent
the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage you to apply.