The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
The OFRF Education and Research Program Manager is a full-time, benefited, exempt position. While the organization is based in Santa Cruz, CA, this position has the ability to work remotely. The Education and Research Program Manager supervises the Education and Research Program contractors and reports to the Executive Director.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Starting salary range $65-75K. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun while working as hard as we do for a cause we love.
Manage and implement OFRF research and education projects and programs:
• Work closely with OFRF leadership and staff to develop, prioritize, and deliver strong re-search and education programs.
• Support fundraising efforts for education and research activities, including grant writing and identifying potential funding opportunities.
• Support effective partnerships with universities, NGOs, government agencies, farmers and ranchers, and agricultural professionals.
• Manage and implement education and research projects, which requires managing project teams, setting deadlines, and ensuring accountability.
• Manage multiple outside contractors to complete project and grant deliverables.
• Supervise and perform research and analysis on various topics related to organic farming, including survey design and implementation, focus groups, literature reviews, and online research.
• Oversee implementation of the annual Organic Agriculture Research Forum to bring together farmers, ranchers, and researchers to share research findings and needs.
• Monitor and write about the latest trends in organic production systems.
Provide scientific oversight of OFRF research grant program:
• Oversee the scientific focus of OFRF’s research grant making program, including strate-gizing on strengthening its impact and ensuring annual research priorities reflect farmer and rancher needs.
• Staff OFRF Board of Directors research grant committee and manage board review and selection process of grants.
• Assess and track the impact of OFRF research projects.
• Coordinate and contribute to blogs on OFRF-funded projects.
Other duties as assigned
• PhD in soil science, agricultural sciences, agroecology, or a related field strongly preferred
• Knowledge of organic farming and familiarity with organic research, particularly around soil health
• Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience
• Ability to think strategically about the application of research and research policy to sup-port the organization’s goals
• Demonstrated track record of managing people, projects, and deadlines that deliver results (experience developing budgets a plus)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Proficiency with Mac and PC common software applications (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database programs); experience with Canvas a plus
• Ability to communicate complex science-related issues to farmers and other non-scientist audiences
• Demonstrated ability to show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Must be able to work independently as well as on a team
• Willingness and ability to travel to conferences and other OFRF events
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build collegial relationships with researchers, policy makers, farmers, donors, and other partners
• Ability to interface with OFRF’s diverse constituents in a clear, positive, and engaging manner
• Willingness to be part of small, but impactful team that advances the overall goals and activities of the organization
• Strong commitment to the mission, values, and goals of OFRF
Submit your complete packet with “Education and Research Program Manager” in the subject line via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified applicants should submit:
• A cover letter stating your interest and qualifications
• A resume outlining your skills and experience
Please visit www.ofrf.org to learn more.
OFRF is an equal opportunity employer. Just as in the natural world where diversity creates resilience and strength, we believe a diverse workplace is crucial to the success of our organization and our efforts to support organic farmers. We strive to create a safe and supportive office culture and workplace that encourages racial and social equity. OFRF has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status.