The Educational Garden Manager is an integral part of Sunflower Hill and the Sunflower Hill Nonresidential Programs Team. This role oversees and manages the Sunflower Hill Garden, a 1 acre, urban-organic, educational garden and multifunctional teaching site that offers horticultural and life skills in a therapeutic setting to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD).
Reporting to the Programs Director and working closely with program staff, this role will be responsible for all aspects of Sunflower Hill Garden’s organic food and flower production, garden maintenance, infrastructure, crop plan, and will perform gardening and field work to provide a supportive learning environment for the onsite programs. The Educational Garden Manager will also be responsible for managing he Sunflower Hill Garden’s food and community flower donation program, as well as general and group garden volunteers.
The Educational Garden Manager works closely with the programs team to develop and implement dynamic programs for program participants.
Read the full job description here: https://sunflowerhill.org/wp-content/uploads/SFH-Educational-Garden-Mana...
● Maintain overall garden design.
● Identify weekly garden task lists, establish a plan for completion, and execute field work to include delegating tasks for the programs team, garden volunteers, and program participants.
● When necessary, record landscape changes in the overall garden master plan, including: irrigation layout, planting bed orientations, walkways, themed gardens, etc.
● Accurately manage, forecast, and track monthly garden expenses and participate in the annual budget planning process for the garden.
● Work to improve the garden’s overall soil health through organic and regenerative farming practices.
● Create and manage crop plan while maintaining detailed notes of year-to-year crop plan successes and failures.
● Manage all propagation for the garden.
● Procure tools and equipment for garden projects and garden maintenance as outlined in the budget. Identify and guide contractors providing specialty services as needed.
● Operate and maintain motorized equipment as needed to include but not limited to: BCS walk-behind tractor, power tools, rototiller, and landscaping equipment.
● Track and report harvest data.
● Occasionally support Garden Program Instructors to facilitate program/class visits, only when needed. This may include task launching, working alongside our I/DD participants in the garden, offering guidance and task modification in the field.
● Assist in routine grant reporting and grant proposals, providing content and guidance as needed.
● Represent and act as liaison for Sunflower Hill during the Hagemann Ranch monthly meetings.
Produce/Flower Donation Management
● Coordinate regular donation efforts; including weekly harvests, packaging, deliveries and pickups. Develop and maintain relationships with local nonprofits.
● Direct the day-to-day tasks, training of, and serve as primary liaison for general and group garden volunteers
● Use CRM software as needed
• BA/BS or equivalent work experience
• Experience and strong knowledge of organic farming required.
• Experience working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities is preferred but not required. We encourage qualified applicants willing to learn about working with our population to apply.
• Volunteer management experience preferred or a willingness to learn.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Proven knowledge of horticulture or organic farming, experience in educational farming valuable/desirable.
• Creative thinking, problem solving, goal oriented and solution driven.
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• A flexible, and supportive approach toward working with colleagues. .
• Must be a self-starter, have the ability to multitask, and work independently.
• Intermediate or higher computer skills: MS Office applications with the ability to learn new software/apps as needed.
• Knowledge of how to use basic motorized garden equipment and garden tools.