With a focus on food systems and the environment, the Environmental Educator will be a flexible,
community-oriented, and enthusiastic team member who enjoys working with children, youth, and
adults in a variety of programs in diverse settings, such as local schools, the community garden, local
trails, and on our new campus on the Windhover property in Jefferson. The Environmental
Educator will work closely with our Environmental Education Coordinator to develop and
implement programs that are immersive and connect learners of all ages to nature through, for
example, making pine needle tea and building forts during the Farm & Forest Friday program, or
starting seeds to plant in the garden with our Winter Explorers Homeschool program. We strive to
develop creative programming that is engaging and learner led, and look to our education staff to be
nurturing and empathetic as they create phenomenological and aesthetic learning experiences such
as storytelling or developing a sensory guidebook of herbs. Our current programming includes a
nature-based summer camp, a Homeschool series, and Farm & Forest Fridays at a local elementary
school; future programming in the next year will add an after school program and vacation camps.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, fun, lifelong learner who is excited to help expand our education
programming as Taproot continues to grow.
• Plant, maintain, and harvest garden plots at school gardens and our education plot
• Develop and implement a variety of environmental education programs for Homeschool, After School, and with community partners where appropriate
• Lead groups of 6-14 year-old campers during our Vacation, Young Naturalists and
Explorers Summer Day Camps
•Work with our EE Coordinator and Executive Director on developing our Environmental Leadership Mentoring (ELM) program for high school students and college students
• Create and implement environmental education lesson plans and maintain educational materials that align with Taproot’s philosophy of education
• Help to maintain relationships with Education and community partners
• Self-motivated with a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and independence • Ability to clearly and concisely communicate orally and in writing
• Excellent organizational skills
• Effective public speaker
• Ability to use various types of technology (i.e. word processing, Microsoft Office Suite, GoToMeeting, on-line reporting system).
• Possess a strong sense of stewardship and knowledge of natural history.
• Possess knowledge of and passion for local food systems.
• Demonstrate passion for inspiring healthful eating and for promoting local,
• Must be comfortable working outside in northern NH in all four seasons.
• Must have a BA/BS in environmental studies or related field and have some experience with outdoor and environmental education.
• Must have a comfort level and demonstrate experience teaching (formal or non-formal) and leading groups in an outdoor, environmental education setting working with participants ranging from children to adults.
• Possess a positive attitude, high energy, and exhibit patience.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check.
• Teaching style that aligns with Taproot’s education philosophy
• Ability to teach in another language
• Experience working in an organic garden or possess a willingness to learn. • Wilderness First Aid/CPR certification
• Lifeguard certified
• Has an artistic and/or musical background
• Experience driving a 15-passenger van or a vehicle with a trailer
• Experience leading overnight camping trips with teens
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cover letter, including
o Your education, background, skills, & experience
o Your interest in Taproot’s mission
o Experience living and working in rural communities
o Description of your educational philosophy and why you would be a good fit for this position
o Salary requirements
• Contact information for three professional references
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster will be required for employment