The SFPUC works hard everyday to provide fundamental environmental benefits through our water, power and sewer services. We recognize there are challenges to providing these services as some parts of our community face a greater burden than others due to the location of our facilities in their neighborhoods. We work with these communities to understand their needs and lessen the effects caused by our operations. At the SFPUC, we call this environmental justice. We’re proud to be the first public utility in the nation to develop an Environmental Justice Policy which guides our efforts to support environmentally healthy and safe communities where we live, work, learn and play.
As part of our mission, we also maintain and preserve more than 590,000 acres of land to protect our natural resources and critical infrastructure. Our Agency often has the opportunity to use our land for more than one purpose and when we can, we partner with local leaders to support innovative uses which benefit the environment and enhance the quality of life for our service area residents.
The Environmental Justice & Land Use Program Manager will work with the Director of Community Benefits to manage and implement all aspects of the SFPUC's agency-wide 2009 Environmental Justice Policy. The incumbent will also manage the SFPUC's urban agriculture program and further develop secondary land-use programs at the SFPUC. The incumbent will work across the agency, with the Enterprises and support bureaus to: integrate environmental justice principles into the SFPUC's decision making processes; educate and train staff so that everyone at the SFPUC knows what environmental justice is and what it means for their daily work at the Agency; ensure community engagement is reflective and inclusive of our the diverse communities we serve; work independently in program development, program management, analysis, research, and writing; use strong written and verbal communications skills to effectively communicate the core mission and priorities of the SFPCU in a variety of public and community settings; and perform related duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
1. Strategic development and implementation of all aspects of the SFPUC’s 2009Environmental Justice Policy.
2. Manage the SFPUC’s urban agriculture programs and policy development.
3. Coordinate with SFPUC’s Communications team to develop culturally conscious communications and engagement strategies to ensure that stakeholders can participate in decisions and actions that may impact their communities.
4. Coordinate across SFPUC’s Enterprises, support bureaus and with related Community Benefits staff on efforts associated with SFPUC’s environmental justice policy and programs.
5. Coordinate with the Agency’s Real Estate Division to further develop secondary land use policies and programs that maximize the use of the land entrusted to our care to provide tangible environmental and social benefits for our rate-payers and our local communities.
6.Coordinate with the Agency’s Real Estate Division in the integration of environmental justice principles into the SFPUC’s broader land use policies.
7. Support implementation of the Agency’s Sustainability and 2020 Strategic Plans.
8. Work independently in program development, program management, analysis, research, and writing.
9. Effectively communicate the core mission and priorities of the SFPUC in a variety of public and community settings.
10. Perform related duties as required.