The Golden State Salmon Association's mission is to restore California salmon for their economic, recreational, commercial, environmental, cultural and health values. Salmon require healthy riparian ecosystems. In supporting salmon, we provide benefit to hundreds of species that are also dependent on cool, clean freshwater. We work to help restore habitat and improve hatchery operations.
The Executive Director leads operations and oversees a head of marketing, an administration and events director, and various contractors and consultants. The Executive Director leads policy initiatives, communications, and fundraising efforts. The Executive Director actively works in collaboration with a number of partners and the Board of Directors.
This is the most senior role within the organization and this role will collaborate with donors, regulators, politicians, fishermen and women, legal partners, environmental groups, and industry representatives to advance GSSA’s mission to restore California salmon. Our current Executive Director will remain involved to train and orient his replacement.
KEY JOB DUTIES
● Develop strategic initiatives, with the policy consultant and Board, to achieve GSSA’s mission to improve hydrology, habitat, and hatcheries of California’s Central Valley king salmon stocks
● Be the primary point of contact actively working with state, federal, and local officials in achieving GSSA’s policy objectives
● Be the primary point of contact for media
● Officiate at public events
● Collaborate with our marketing director, administration and events director, policy consultant and other contractors
● Develop and manage relationships with major donors and foundations
● Generate most of the written public facing content of GSSA including a monthly newsletter and quarterly report
● Liaise with officials, donors, and key stakeholders re GSSA’s goals and initiatives
● Work closely with Board of Directors to align staff work with board vision
● Organize four Board of Directors’ meetings annually
● Organize an annual strategic planning meeting
● Work with members of the Executive Committee to develop annual budget
● Write reports for granting organizations
● You have several years of non-profit management, fundraising, or analogous experience. ● You are action and results oriented.
● You are an exceptional writer and communicator capable of producing copy and organizing collateral for a range of audiences and platforms from our websites to social media, fundraising initiatives, to newsletters.
● You are comfortable in the arenas of: fundraising, public policy, advocacy campaigning, grass roots initiatives and press relations
● You are passionate about salmon. An interest in CA Central Valley water operations would be a big plus.
● Compensation: This is a full-time salaried position. Compensation $103k to $167k, depending on experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Golden State Salmon Association provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (all aspects of religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), creed, gender(including gender identity and gender expression), sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy, breast feeding and related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (including cancer or a history or record of cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, , military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. Discrimination can also include failing to reasonably accommodate religious practices or qualified individuals with disabilities where the accommodation does not pose an undue hardship. All such discrimination is unlawful.
GSSA provides equal pay for substantially equal work regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, in conformance with the law. Prior salary shall not, by itself, justify any disparity in compensation between employees of another gender, race or ethnicity who perform substantially similar work by relying without more, on differences in the employees’ compensation history, such as the fact that one of them was paid more in a prior job.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, training, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence and compensation.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit an electronic version of your resume and cover letter to https://cvnl.org/executive-search/current-executive-searches/
For more information contact:
Director of Executive Search
CVNL has provided successful full-cycle executive and management recruiting on a retained basis for nonprofit organizations throughout the Bay Area for over a decade. You can learn more about our work at cvnl.org/executive-search.