Organization: Sustainable Connections
Title: Facilities & Equipment Specialist
Location: Cloud Mountain Farm Center, Everson, WA
Reports to: Farm Director
Terms: Part-time (on average 20hrs/week), hourly, introductory employee (90 day period before becoming regular employee), non-exempt
Application Deadline: Application review begins 5/11/2020, position open until filled
Desired start date: May 2020, as soon as possible
A central component of farm operations at Cloud Mountain Farm Center, the Facilities & Equipment Specialist is a regular, year–round position with varying seasonal demands. The Facilities & Equipment Specialist is responsible for repairs and preventative maintenance of farm facilities and equipment to support food and nursery production, as well as educational farm events and programs.
The person in this position must be able to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis and comfortable operating a tractor w/ loader and basic nursery equipment (training provided). Some weekend hours may be required.
This position works routinely outdoors in all weather; work will be performed both in an equipped shop setting and in the field/in facilities exposed to occasionally severe weather. Individual will be expected to maintain a safe, clean and functional work area.
3-5 days a week, schedule to be set in accordance to seasonal and program-specific needs. On average 20 hours per week.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Minimum of two years mechanic maintenance of farm equipment, or equivalent
• Substantial experience in diesel and gasoline drivetrain repair and maintenance
• Ability to independently solve mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical problems
• Basic carpentry skills
• Ability and enthusiasm to teach others on equipment maintenance and operation
• Operation and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and light equipment
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• Metal fabrication and modification experience
• Experience installing and designing irrigation systems and equipment
• Experience with farm-scale composting systems
• Familiarity with greenhouse and/or high tunnel construction and upkeep
• Maintain and repair infrastructure, facilities, vehicles, tractors, implements, and other farm equipment
• Coordinate repairs with outside providers when necessary
• Lead safety trainings for farm staff and temporary hires
• Manage materials and biomass disposal and/or recycling
• Collaborate and coordinate with program managers in development, management, and implementation of irrigation systems
• Prioritize and perform grounds keeping tasks including fencing repair/replacement
• Lead major greenhouse repair, maintenance, and construction as needed
• Set standard and protocols for integrity, responsibility, and safety with equipment and vehicle use and maintenance
• Maintains accurate logs, reports, and records of work performed and materials and equipment used
This is a part-time, 20 hour per week, non-exempt, introductory position, to be compensated $20-$25 hourly depending on qualifications and experience. Part-time employees accrue paid time off and an individual benefit on a pro-rated basis. First year, regular full-time employees (working 40 hrs/week) accrue 16 days per year of paid time off, and an individual benefit of $350 per month. The organization offers up to a 3% match SIMPLE IRA non-designated retirement plan.
Email a cover letter and resume with three professional references to
Sustainable Connections complies with all federal, state, and local laws, which prohibit discrimination in employment. Sustainable Connections is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
Sustainable Connections is an equal opportunity employer that believes it is the responsibility of the company and all its employees to ensure there is no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, genetic information, or any other protected status.