Veggielution is looking for an energetic, responsible team member to fill our Farm Program Manager
position. The Farm Program Manager will have a key leadership role in the day-to-day farm work on
approximately three acres of farm fields and orchard, with a focus on training and supervising interns and
volunteers. The Farm Program Manager will ensure that the farm education and demonstration efforts at
Veggielution are safe and welcoming to volunteers, interns and program participants. Ideal candidates
will be self-motivated, flexible, adept at managing change, and driven by our mission to connect people
from diverse backgrounds through food and farming to build community in East San Jose. This is a
full-time, non-exempt position.
●Create a welcoming and positive atmosphere for visitors to Veggielution.
● Plan, start and plant a variety of crops with staggered harvest dates to yield adequate quantities of
culturally-relevant produce for Veggielution programs and farm stand.
● Instruct, direct and supervise interns
● Lead work tasks for groups of 10-30 volunteers, twice weekly
● Collaborate with Community Engagement Program Manager to support middle school field trip
group visits to the farm
● Communicate with all program leads to coordinate produce for farm stand, field trips, cooking
classes, and special events.
● Manage greenhouse, including propagation of transplants in alignment with crop plan
● Maintain farm tools and equipment with support from the Operations Manager
● Adhere to Integrated Pest Management best practices
● Manage and oversee wellness of small flock of laying hens
● Maintain accurate and up-to-date crop production records including Field Plan, Field Planting
Schedule, and Tractor Work Log
● Implement, adhere to, and refine long-term soil management and IPM plans
● Follow best practices and safety protocols at all times
● Complete tractor work as needed, including bed preparation and mowing.
● Assist in collecting program outcome data for grant deliverables and future funding
● Participate in Veggielution meetings, community programs, and donor events
● Commitment to the mission and vision of Veggielution
● At least one year of production experience in organic agriculture
● Supervision experience, preferably in a teaching role.
● Experience in leading others and fostering teamwork to accomplish projects.
● Enthusiasm for meeting new people from diverse backgrounds, with sensitivity to differences (of
race/culture, class, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and age)
● Strong leadership skills and mentorship experience (with interns and volunteers.)
● Attentive, highly organized, flexible and adaptable, reliable and hardworking
● Ability to take initiative and to manage multiple priorities
● Ability to work independently as well as on a close, collaborative team
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Entrepreneurial interest in reimagining the current use of farm space to meet evolving community
and program needs
● Able to work Tues-Saturday workweek
● Able to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
● Internet literacy and proficiency using Microsoft suite and Google Drive.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
● Spanish-language proficiency
● Tractor operation experience
Physical and Travel Requirements
● Valid driver’s license and ability to operate light pick-up truck and tractor
● Routine lifting of farm tools and equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of what an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable
individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to Cayce Hill, Executive
Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
$40,000 annually, plus excellent health benefits, professional development funds, and generous paid time