AMI’s 18-month Farm and Food Systems Fellowship fully sponsors, trains, and empowers individuals to become teachers and advocates for a food system that is socially, environmentally, and economically just. Selected Fellows spend six months in experiential, residential Farm and Food Study at AMI’s Allegheny Farm Campus, followed by a Community Action Year, applying their training in partnership with regional non-profit organizations.
Farm and Food Study: May 17 - October 27, 2021
• Work, live, and learn with a cohort of passionate individuals dedicated to revitalizing the food system on a remote mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
• Gain hands-on experience in fruit and vegetable production, poultry care, rotational grazing, mushroom cultivation, beekeeping, agroforestry, ecological farm design, food preservation, whole food cooking, and multiple aspects of the food system.
• Explore critical food system issues and deepen farming skills through educational sessions and a diverse range of weekly workshops or field trips.
• Receive a $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Community Action Year contract. Additional benefits include housing at the Allegheny Farm Campus and farm produce supplemented with whole food staples, plus 3 days of personal leave and 3 holidays.
Community Action Year: January 10 - December 16, 2022
• Put training into action through a year of immersive farm and food work with AMI and community partner organizations in Highland and Augusta Counties, Virginia.
• Build knowledge and skills in farming, food systems, and professional practices through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips, and workshops.
• Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
• Earn $10 per hour (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly). Additional benefits include health insurance, Workers’ Compensation, 10 days of paid time off, and 1 day of wellness leave per month
At AMI's discretion, Fellows may be asked to repay the costs of Farm and Food Study if they voluntarily leave the program early or fail to commit to or complete the Community Action Year. Applicants invited to participate in the Fellowship must clear a background check.
Apply online at bit.ly/amifellowship2021
Applications received by February 10 will receive priority consideration. All applications are due March 10.