About the Farm
Live Earth Farm, established in 1996, is a 100-acre organic farm overlooking the Green Valley in the Santa Cruz area of California. We offer a year round CSA with over 500 members during the regular season. We grow 50 different fruits and vegetables ranging from perennial fruit trees to a wide variety of annual crops. We sell our produce at five farmer’s markets and through our CSA program.
The education programs at Live Earth Farm began with the farm in 1996 and Farm Discovery at Live Earth was formally established as a nonprofit organization in 2007 to compliment and expand the educational programs at Live Earth Farm. We host more than 2,500 children on the farm each year for farm-based, hands-on learning opportunities in a variety of formats.
The Farm and Garden Apprentice will manage the Live Earth upper farm plots and fruit trees and assist Farm Discovery with the education garden, and tending to the chickens, pygmy goats, and milking cow. The person in this position will work collaboratively with farmer Tom at Live Earth Farm, and the education and farm staff at Farm Discovery, as well as be responsible for daily decision-making.
- Assisting in farm based education programs 4-5 times a week; including but not limited to: lead farm curriculum for field trips in the spring and fall, assist in curriculum development and implementation for monthly homeschool groups, full immersion in farm based summer camps (June & July), and assist/lead irregular tours and community days on the farm
- Assist in garden/field maintenance, including but not limited to: planting, irrigation, propagation, harvesting, and possibly after harvest production
- Assist in the general care of our farm animals; 1 flock of pastured chickens for our egg production, as well as a small herd of pygmy goats
This apprenticeship includes salary pay, residence in a yurt on the farm, and all the fruits, vegetables, and eggs you can eat. Due to the nature of the work, this position requires on-farm residence. Residences private yurts with shared kitchen and bathroom for $450 a month. We are willing to extend housing to the partner of the intern for an additional fee.
Prior experience in organic farming and gardening is required. This is an opportunity for those intending to pursue farming or farm/garden based education as a career path. It is a chance to hone your organic farming and gardening skills through an educational lens. We expect you to arrive with a good work ethic and a positive attitude. Please be aware that farming is hard work and we require a full season commitment, with the potential for a multi year position.
- Must speak Spanish and English
- Prior experience with farm or garden work (at least one season)
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org