Sisters Hill Farm is a beautiful 400 member vegetable CSA located in the Hudson Valley, now entering our 25th year. We’re seeking 3 apprentices for the 2023 season. Apprentices will take part in all aspects of the farm; from seeding, to transplanting, to tractor work, to harvest and customer relations. We take pride in being well organized and get great joy out of the beauty of the fields, the quality of what we produce, and the efficiency with which we gather and distribute it to our community. Over the past 24 years on less than 5 acres, we have grown and shared more than 1.75 million pounds of high quality organic produce. We are able to attain this level of production because we are keenly focused on creating systems that fit our particular site, customer base, and importantly–our temperaments.
There is a lot to do and a lot to learn for the apprentice ready to dig in and invest in their own experience.
Check out our website for more information on the farm and the full apprentice role description. https://sistershillfarm.org/apprenticeship
Desired Skills and Qualifications
– A strong work ethic with a sharp eye for detail and efficiency. Timeliness is important both for starting the day on the right foot and getting done all that must be done on the farm.
– Upbeat, able to find joy in simple moments, willingness to laugh and have fun. We work closely together and camaraderie is part of the pleasure of farmwork.
– Proactive, both in tasks and your own education. Even if there is no explicit instruction happening, there are always opportunities to learn. Apprentices should be thinking ahead to next steps to help the whole team move efficiently.
– Team player. Communication is vital for understanding instructions and maintaining a comfortable work environment. We all work together and we all take turns with farm tasks.
– Able to perform physical labor. There are often long days spent in uncomfortable positions in a variety of weather. Apprentices should be able to lift 50 lbs, kneel for long periods, and be comfortable with repetitive tasks.
– A driver’s license and clean driving record.
To apply please send the following to following to firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Please supply the following information:
a) Tell us about yourself; your interests, your long-range plans, why you want to work on a farm.
b) What do you hope to learn?
c) Are you capable of long days of physical labor often kneeling?
d) Any special considerations we should know about (diet, health)?
e) Do you have any previous related work experiences?
f) Tell us what you think of our program, our policies, and how you would fit into our farm.
g) When would you be available? Any flexibility?
2) Please include a resume.
3) Please provide 3 references we can contact regarding your learning and work style.