Moon Hollow Ranch is seeking a full-time Farm Assistant to join our growing organic farm. You would be working on a scenic property near the town of Sonoma that is being developed into a world class estate. We require very detail oriented, hard workers with the ability to work independently. We have broken ground on our new production garden, and will be focusing on the rapid development and expansion of this garden. In addition, we raise Babydoll Southdown Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Kunekune pigs and heritage breed poultry, as well as heirloom fruit and berries and an olive oil production orchard. The available shift is 8 hours a day Monday through Friday and is the afternoon shift ending around dusk each evening, therefore your hours will shift with the seasons.
Position Summary: Under direct supervision of the Gardens & Livestock Manager, this position will primarily focus on the creation and subsequent planting and maintenance of new beds for our production garden using organic and biointensive methods, assisting the orchard manager with pruning, weeding, amending, and harvesting fruit as needed, assistance with livestock care, as well as feeding and moving livestock two afternoons each week, and/or as required.
Compensation: $18 to $25 per hour DOE with health insurance stipend, paid lunch break, vacation, sick leave and holidays. We regret that this position does not include housing.
The major responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
• Double digging and amending new planting beds being dug in rocky, volcanic soil
• Seed starting, transplanting, hand-watering garden beds
• Harvesting, cleaning and packaging produce
• Assistance with seasonal Farmer’s Markets
• Compost production and maintenance
• Assisting the livestock team with routine livestock tasks
Additional tasks may include milking goats, bee keeping, noxious and invasive plant management, trimming hooves, administering medication as needed, etc.
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks to completion
• Valid California Driver's license and clean driving record
• Full background security check
• Ability to lift and carry 50+ lbs
• Ability to work outside year-round, including in inclement weather with exposure to poison oak
• Ability to use equipment and power tools safely, taking extremely good care of all ranch equipment
• Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality and privacy
• Good time management skills and ability to make efficient use of time.
• Good communication skills, computer literate and experience with google docs a plus.
Please send a cover letter explaining your desire to work with us, resume detailing your past experience, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org