Summary: The position will actively participate in building Kitchen Table Advisors delivery of program services and organizational presence in the Yolo | Solano region, as well as support the organization’s resilience. Core to the regional work is in-depth 1:1 business advising to fuel the economic viability of a multi-racial next generation of sustainable small farms and ranches in Northern California. Share leadership in shaping a just and sustainable future and deliver meaningful, measurable impact. Preference for entrepreneurial and lived experience and language skills to draw on in service to farmers.
Location: The employee must be based within or in close driving proximity to Yolo and Solano counties with capacity to work from home and travel within the region and Northern California. Position reports to the director leading work in the region.
The Ideal Candidate: You will have superb interpersonal and communication skills, and lived experience to meet our farm and ranch clients where they are at and help fuel their economic viability. You are an inspiring leader and ambassador, while also possessing the ability to coach and help lead the organization in a way that fosters creativity, teamwork, a commitment to excellence, and mutual respect. You have a reputation for honesty, fairness, and high ethical standards in all aspects of professional work. The idyllic candidate will be a person of high energy, integrity, humor, creativity, enthusiasm, and optimism.
(Primary Role) Cultivate trust and add value to the lives and livelihoods of our clients by:
Being a trusted business coach to your clients, including: Develop a Crop Plan; Enterprise Planning; Markets & Marketing; Financial Management & Recordkeeping Systems (help setup financial tracking systems like Quickbooks); Cash Flow Projections and Budgeting; Serve as a sounding board and provide support to other Business Advisors regarding their Clients or Alumni.
Support our Farm Viability Team by:
- Participating in, cultivating, and proactively demonstrating shared leadership amongst the team.
- Help team members network with key influencers in your arena where applicable.
- Lead or participate in projects within the Program, including: Client Gatherings, Team Meetings, Client Communications, Client Recruitment, etc.
- Active listening and participation in regular check-ins.
Build and deepen relationships with key partners and stakeholders by:
- Generating and stewarding meaningful relationships for the organization and for clients and, as appropriate, taking extra time to find culturally resonant individuals who reflect the faces and cultures of our clients. For example: organizations who specialize in complementary programs, from Farmers Market Associations to Food Hubs, to Financial Institutions, to other Non-profit organizations who focus on social equity or environmental stewardship, etc.
- Strengthen our program to increase efficacy + lay the foundation for future growth + replicability
- Use existing (and new) systems and data management tools to share the progress of your clients and make managing relationships accessible to the team
- Strategize on, lead, and weigh in on SOPs, metrics, and processes for the program
- Participate in seeking out talent for the organization
Organizational Resilience Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with and support staff and volunteer team to evaluate program efficacy, tell the story of our clients and our impact, and generate the resources for our work through communications, farm tours, events and 1:1 relationship building.
- Perform regular and recurring administrative tasks that support funding source reporting, photo/story sharing, and schedule availability with team members.
- Lead or participate in at least two areas of functional work (Finance, HR, Program, Operations, Fundraising, Communication, Governance) to support the sustainability of the organization.
- 5 years experience running a small business or providing coaching, consulting or technical assistance to small business owners, in food or farm businesses
- 2-3 years of on the ground experience on a farm as a farm business owner or farm worker
- 3-5 years working in or around the business of agriculture
- 2-3 years hands on experience with business and financial analysis, practical business planning and financial management and decision making
- General understanding of both direct to consumer (e.g. CSA, farmers' markets) and wholesale market channels (e.g. grocery stores, restaurants, distributors)
- High emotional intelligence: able to navigate delicate situations/relationships with grace, take responsibility for actions, and adapt to others who have different backgrounds and experiences, learn from mistakes, growth mindset, etc.
- Ability to work nights and weekends, on occasion, as needed for events
- Proactive, can work independently while staying connected to the organization
- Responsible for engaging in the team culture and asking for help
- Passion for sustainable food and farms
- Live and work in Yolo | Solano region
- Access to a vehicle and ability to drive within the region for business advising sessions, in addition to outside of the region for team events and conferences
Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried position. We provide a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary (range $70,000-80,000 per year), excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
Kitchen Table Advisors is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.
Please submit the following to email@example.com with “Business Advisor” in the subject line. All qualified candidates will be contacted via email. First review date is July 20, 2020. The position is open until filled.
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position and work
- Professional references