Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization with a mission is “to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy.” Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Eastern Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill our Agriculture Intern position. The position runs for about 10 months from April 2, 2018 until January 31, 2019.
The general responsibility of the agriculture intern is to work directly under the supervision of the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager as a member of the five-person farm crew. This is physically demanding farm work that involves all aspects of our farm’s production. This internship provides the opportunity to live, work and learn on an organic farm and to participate in classes and other opportunities. This internship is a farmer-in-training program.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday (8-5 minimum) with seasonal extended hours.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
• Field work: seeding, transplantation, weeding, harvesting, irrigation, some tractor work, etc.
• Assisting in the operation of Hidden Villa’s Community Supported Agriculture Program and Flower Program
• Training and overseeing volunteer activities
• Performing basic ranch maintenance tasks and simple repairs
• Participate in Hidden Villa meetings, community programs, and donor events
Hidden Villa’s Residential Internship Program is contributing to the next generation of green educators, innovative farmers, and thoughtful nonprofit leaders. As a participant in this program you will gain:
• Training and experience working on a farm at an educational non-profit
• Access to the Hidden Villa Intern Alumni network and mentorship opportunities to further career goals
• Professional Development – Attendance at EcoFarm and visits to local farms
• Weekly Educational Workshops (excluding June-August) focused on sustainable systems, education, and leadership
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Valid driver's license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
A candidate with basic knowledge of plants and an interest in sustainable agriculture and farm management is desired. Candidates must be self-starters with the ability to work independently and must be able to work with a diverse group of children and adults, including volunteers.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is a full-time, 10 month long, residential, agriculturally exempt position. A stipend of $750/month is provided. Benefits include: housing, seasonal produce, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation (10 days), and sick leave. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided and obtaining coverage is the responsibility of the intern. If desired, Hidden Villa will give you access to our health insurance brokerage, who can help you work through the process of obtaining personal medical coverage. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
HOW TO APPLY
We will be interviewing on a rolling basis and the deadline to apply for this position is February 1, 2018. Please submit your cover letter, resume and completed Internship Application to: Intern Manager at Hidden Villa, 26870 Moody Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022 Or via e-mail to email@example.com. Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650) 949-6327. For more information please visit www.hiddenvilla.org/programs/internship