The Assistant Farm Manager (AFM) primarily responsible for maintenance and upkeep of all Viva Farms facilities and equipment. They also work with incubating farmers and is a provider of technical assistance in aiding farmers’ success in organic production, and will assist with a variety of Viva Farms operations to ensure effective execution of our marketing and distribution programs.
Farm & Facilities Maintenance (50%)
1. Coordinate, execute and improve upon preventative maintenance schedules and systems for all of Viva Farms’ equipment, vehicles, tools and facilities.
2. Contribute to assessment of equipment needs for Viva Farms as a whole and assist in purchasing of equipment and supplies.
3. Monitor, evaluate, maintain and repair shared and “whole” farm systems, including irrigation, road maintenance, cooler/HVAC systems, seasonal restrooms, packing house processes, shared barn storage spaces and all common areas.
4. Mowing and seasonal maintenance of shared outdoor areas.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Logistics & Distribution (25%)
1. Contribute to the packing and distribution of Viva Farms’ weekly CSA (produce box) program. 2. Help to organize and maintain order within Viva Farms shared spaces, including coolers, greenhouses, barn and equipment storage areas and packing houses.
3. Help prepare wholesale orders for shipping, organizing pallets of produce purchased from Viva Farmers.
4. Filling in on wholesale delivery routes and picking up products and supplies, when needed.
Farmer Technical Assistance (25%)
1. Be a resource to Viva farmers, helping to coordinate an effective system of equipment availability to address technical farming concerns.
2. Participate in safety training on farm equipment with Viva Farmers.
3. Operate equipment to assist incubating farmers with crop production when requested and provide limited and informal 1:1 training to increase farmers’ capacity.
4. Assist farmers as able, and in instances where outside advice and guidance is needed, to seek out local and regional specialists to solve problems.
• Must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of Viva Farms.
• Must be a positive team player and have a great sense of humor.
• Be able to maintain a positive demeanor in a fast-paced environment that requires flexibility. • Ability to work independently and take initiative to identify and balance priorities and execute an efficient work plan.
• Familiarity with and ability to independently and safely operate farm equipment, including tractors and implements.
• Experience with preventative maintenance to ensure proper function of farm equipment. • General handiness, including familiarly with and ability to operate power tools and hand tools, and general construction and safety skills.
• General skills in basic plumbing, carpentry, and electrical work, as well as automotive and small engine repair. •
Willingness to dive in and take on new projects
• Strong communication and relationship skills and demonstrated ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
• 3+ years of applicable experience working in agriculture or related field.
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish.
• 5+ years in row crop production.
• Skilled in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Documents, and internet research.
If interested, please send a resume, salary requirements and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for this position to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.