Backyard Gardens, an established farm and catering business in Joseph, OR, seeks a farm manager for 2020 and beyond. Our 1.5 acre diverse vegetable market garden is established in the fertile valley of the beautiful Wallowa mountains, where we grow quality produce for our rural community and sell through a local farmers market, a CSA, restaurants, other wholesale accounts, as well as our catering business.
Owner/Manager is seeking to step back from farm management to focus on the catering aspect of the business and is looking for the right individual to ideally partner with for long term farm management and development.
This is the perfect opportunity for the beginning farmer with a few years of field experience who is ready to take their skills to another level. Hone your leadership and management skills while bringing fresh ideas to help elevate the productivity and sustainability of our small market garden.
• Manage day to day operations, including field operations and crew activities:
o Manage and coordinate vegetable, flower and herb production: crop planning, greenhouse production, soil management, field preparations, plantings, weed management, irrigation, pest management, harvest and marketing activities.
o Manage crew activities: assess labor needs, communicate plans, anticipate materials and labor needed for crew activities
• Work with owner on overall farm management, planning, setting priorities
• Help with marketing
• Help develop new income sources for farm
• Minimum 2+ years farming experience, preferably with some management responsibilities
• Knowledge of crops and organic growing techniques
• Highly organized with good communication skills
• Physically fit with the ability to work at a quick pace
• Self-motivated, hard working, good team player, great multi-tasker, excellent people skills with the ability to motivate crew members
• Starts end of March/early April. Part time to May 1
• 4-5 days/week May through October
• Starting hourly rate dependent on experience
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including the following:
• Position you are applying for
• Relevant past work experience, including duties and responsibilities
• Your goals relating to agriculture
• Other related skills (i.e. carpentry, computer, small engine repair…)
• Something interesting about yourself not related to agriculture
• 3 references
• Dates of availability