Kit Crawford and Gary Erickson, co-owners of Clif Bar & Company, started Clif Family Winery & Farm in 2004 to bring together their passions for wine, food and farming. In 2011, we opened our Tasting Room in downtown St. Helena, creating a unique consumer experience where wine, food and cycling are celebrated and blended. At our Tasting Room you can taste Clif Family Wines, enjoy food pairings and our Bruschetteria Food Truck or embark on a world-class cycling excursion.
At Clif Family Winery, we craft unique, regional wine and foods using practices that care for the earth and support growers who use sustainable and organic farming methods. In this way, we contribute to a more healthy, vibrant community. The Clif Family Farm is a CCOF certified organic farm that provides produce to our Bruschetteria Food Truck and for value added product production. We source our wines from local growers and 10 acres of certified organic estate vineyards located on Howell Mountain.
The Farm Manager will take a hands-on role in overseeing all farming and landscaping operations at three properties located on Howell Mountain. This will include supervising the crew for annual farm planning, seasonal planting schedules, project management and day-to-day operations. The Farm Manager will work closely with the Executive Chef to create our farm-to-truck dining experience and will work with the Operations Manager on value-added products. The Farm Manager will also work with the owners and General Manager on developing and maintaining the property landscape and overall upkeep.
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who have the ability to connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire the success of those around them and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
• Manage a team of employees to oversee all farming and landscape operations.
• Manage, communicate, and enforce worker safety programs (Injury & Illness Prevention Program)
• Implement and enforce high quality farming and landscape practices, techniques, quality controls, and workplace safety.
• Develop and manage the annual farm budget.
• Work with Executive Chef on a quarterly basis to plan seasonal plantings for the Bruschetteria Food Truck.
• Work with General Manager/Operations Manager on an annual basis to plan plantings for value-added products.
• Provide weekly communication with Executive Chef on produce availability.
• Coordinate with Operations Manager for production of value-added products.
• Ensure proper maintenance of all landscape on and around designated farm areas.
• Manage all landscaping projects in designated farm areas.
• Manage and ensure proper maintenance of vegetable gardens, fruit orchards and olive orchards.
• Responsible for managing all “mow and blow” activity at Cold Springs and Croquet.
• Provide oversight and direction for Tasting Room landscaping and patio gardens.
• Coordinate activities with Vineyard Management company.
• Coordinate with owners to provide fruit, vegetables and olives as requested.
• Manage records for CCOF, Food Alliance and Napa Green Certifications.
• File Spray Reports with Napa County.
• Execute special projects as assigned by Owners.
Position-Specific Skills Required
The ideal candidate will have:
• Proven success in a team-oriented environment.
• Experience in leading others and fostering teamwork to accomplish projects.
• Scheduling, coordinating, and monitoring the work of team members.
• Positive interpersonal skills.
• Impeccable attention to detail, prioritization, multi-tasking, task planning and budget management.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Bilingual - communicate effectively in both English and Spanish strongly preferred.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly and work in a dynamic outdoor environment.
• Significant experience in landscape installation and maintenance.
• Proficiency in each of the following areas in organic farm systems:
o Fertility Management
o Pest Control
o Produce Harvest & Handling
o Farm Food Safety
Leadership Skills Required
• Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
• Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
• Proven ability with team collaboration, creative problem solving and conflict resolution.
• Supporting, coaching, and developing people for success as part of team.
Technical Expertise Required
• Proficiency in MS Office.
• Valid California Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
• 10 plus years in farming/landscape management.
• Passion and knowledge for organic farming.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Please send resume to Winery@cliffamily.com