Greater Newark Conservancy is seeking a full-time Urban Farm Manager to manage production and operations at our urban farm in Newark. The Hawthorne Avenue Farm, is a 3 acre community focused farm located in the south ward of Newark immediately adjacent to the Hawthorne Avenue Elementary School. The Farm consists of teaching gardens, a fruit orchard, a school garden, a community gardening area and 2-acre production area.. A hoophouse, is part of the future plans for Hawthorne Avenue. The Urban Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning, and oversight of the Conservancy’s farming operations at Hawthorne Farm from land preparation through quality harvest including all aspects of chemical free vegetable, herb, flower and fruit production. The Urban Farm Manager reports to the Executive Director.
creation of business and planting plans
· pest control and weed management
· field cultivation, compost and seed production
· harvest and market the farm's products.
· supervision of farm staff/interns/volunteers
· volunteer planning and management for groups of all sizes. Includes:
o Working with Director of External Relations on volunteer schedule and to plan tasks ahead of time
o Give overview of Conservancy and projects, network with key corporate partners
o Complete all paperwork regarding to volunteer program on a timely basis before and after each event
· manage a team of interns and develop program activities for summer months
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of farm management experience, preferably at an organic or chemical free farm.
• Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse communities.
• Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
• Interest and familiarity with issues relating to local food, food access, and sustainable agriculture, organic gardening, and a genuine appreciation of the urban environment.
• Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team.
• Proficiency in all MS office applications
• Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, natural resources, plant science, horticulture or a related field or equivalent experience
How to Apply: Please send email with your resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the job title as the subject line. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. This position is available immediately.
Salary: $40,000 plus health insurance, 401(k), paid vacation, personal and sick days