The Hudson Valley Farm Hub is seeking a talented Farm Manager who shares our vision for an equitable and resilient food system. We seek someone who has demonstrated success as a farmer, who enjoys being part of a dynamic and collaborative team, and who will help us implement farm operations that are productive and efficient and that foster a culture of learning, appreciation, and inclusivity.
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. The Farm Hub is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. Our crop rotation includes grains, cover crops, and vegetables with year-round production across 1500 acres of prime farmland and a suite of greenhouses. The farmstead is comprised of multiple facilities including a soon to be completed new 20,000 sq. ft. LEED certified machine shop. A diverse staff of 55 employees serve in varied roles in administration, farm operations, and programs.
Working as part of the Farm Hub Operations team, the Farm Manager will be responsible for the coordination of all production activities and the day-to-day management of our organic certified field crop operations. He/she/they will work under the direction of our Director of Farm Operations to supervise the field crops team, plan and manage field crops production, collaborate with the vegetable production team, and ensure that quality and food safety measures are followed. The Farm Manager will coordinate crop planning and will oversee the integration of on-farm research into production. He/she/they will work to implement clear operational policies and procedures, represent the Farm Hub’s work, and promote a safe, compassionate environment for all staff, trainees, educators, and guests.
This is a full-time position. Due to the nature of agriculture, evening and weekend work is often required during the planting and harvest seasons. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead whole farm planning, in coordination with production teams and upper management
• Manage the production of field crops and the storage and post harvest handling of grains
• Oversee the management of all production records, including FSMA/GAP and organic certifications, and pesticide applications
• Work in collaboration with the Vegetable Production Manager and team members, shop mechanic team, and grounds team
• Oversee applied research projects related to all field crops production and soil health activities, with support of Field Crops Coordinator
• Ensure the proper upkeep and maintenance of equipment and facilities, in collaboration with the shop mechanic team
• Develop and implement short and long-term work plans
• Assist the Director of Farm Operations in monitoring budget and expenses
• Coordinate with Distribution team on the marketing of agricultural products
• Assist with on-site training of employees
• Participate in on-farm events as needed and serve as a public representative of the Farm Hub at selected events.
• Keep up to date with new advances in applied farming technologies
• Serve as liaison to the local farming community and help to promote and maintain good relationships with customers, neighbors, and partners
• Help to align all farm operations with the Farm Hub’s long term strategic vision
• Collaborate with teams across all Farm Hub programmatic areas - Agricultural Education and Training, Farmscape Ecology, Language Justice, and Community Food
• Perform other duties as assigned
Required Experience and Skills
• Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in effectively management of a large farming operation, including the production of field and vegetable crops using organic methods
• Experience in the planning and management of diversified crop production using soil conservation practices.
• Ability to make critical decisions under pressure, specifically during periods of peak operations
• Demonstrated success in the management and supervision of staff
• Commitment to the Farm Hub’s mission of equity and ecological resilience
• Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills are required to effectively work with and supervise employees with a wide range of skill sets, educational levels and work experiences.
• Presentation skills and enthusiasm for knowledge sharing
• Written and verbal proficiency in English
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and/or Google Sheets
• Demonstrated ability to foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration; ability to develop positive relationships with people across different backgrounds
• Experience with upkeep and maintenance of facilities and farm equipment
• Valid NYS drivers’ license
• Ability to lift 50 lbs
• Verbal proficiency in Spanish
• Knowledge of the Northeast farming community, especially Hudson Valley
• Experience with precision agriculture technology.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com. Please put “Farm Manager” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. To find out more, visit the Hudson Valley Farm Hub at http://www.hvfarmhub.org