Seeking Full-Time Farmer(s)
Living Grounds is a 1-acre farm that exists within the larger project that is the Malibu Fig Ranch, a 13-acre property that hosts a world-class outdoor farmers market, offering private dining experiences and community events. We are located in the Point Dume region of central Malibu, CA. Over the last 2 years, Living Grounds has grown specialty greens, herbs and flowers, while also hosting numerous educational programs.
We are looking for one or more individuals that would be willing to carry on farm production. We do not have funds to pay hourly wages, however, you may keep all earnings received from farm production, as well as determine planting schedules, depending on your experience and commitment levels.
The farm has:
- BCS tractor with flail mower and precision depth control rototiller (for light superficial soil disturbance)
- Shovels, Wheelbarrows, Broadfork
- Earthway and Jang seeders
- Access to ample compost
- Access to ample seed supply for getting going
- Drip irrigation materials
- Squirrel and gopher traps
- Lots of row-cover
- Harvesting knives, totes, crates, rubber bands and bags
- Wash tubs and salad spinner
- Soil tests from the last two years
- A list of nearly 200 interested volunteers and community participants
- A view of the Pacific ocean
- Opportunity for onsite residency
I first came to Malibu to help Land Stewardess, Kerry Clasby, rebuild the farm after the ranch was devastated in the Woolsey Fire of November 2018. What began as a short-term visit, eventually turned into the opportunity to establish Living Grounds.
Over the last two years I have done my best to establish the farm, often oscillating back and forth between education and production. I now admit that I am unable to do it alone. I have recently started working with the UCCE helping to promote healthy soils in the region and the farm has gone into a bit of hibernation.
This stands as an excellent opportunity for someone looking to explore having their own farm, without having to spend money on upfront costs.
Managing all aspects of the farm:
- Bed preparation
- Manage fertility and labor schedule
- Pest and rodent control (squirrels, gophers, rabbits...)
- Record keeping of costs and produce sold
At least 2 or 3 years of full-time farm experience.
In order to apply, please send a resume and letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use "Applying for Farm Manager" in the Subject line.