Oz Farm is seeking a full time Farm Manager for our 10-acre diverse organic vegetable farm and apple orchard.
The Farm Manager manages and implements all aspects of food production full time in addition to assisting with apprenticeship education. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
Primary Responsibilities of the Job
1. Manage and coordinate all aspects of work within the farm
2. Manage and coordinate crop planning, greenhouse production, field maintenance & harvest
3. Co-Coordinate and supervise Farm Apprentices from April- November
4.Co-Educate and inform Farm Apprentices on farm curriculum through discussion sessions and hands on demonstrations to teach farming and garden techniques
5. Update educational curriculum to keep Apprenticeship program current with best farm practices
6. Collect data and documentation to track performance measures and meet the standards of organic certification
7. Manage the farm’s budget and finances
8. Manage produce and apple accounts through the organization of orders, harvests, invoicing, and deliveries
9. Oversee the maintenance of irrigation systems and manage equipment and infrastructure
10. Coordinate with retreats and events for produce orders
11. Participate in weekly Oz Farm staff meetings when appropriate
12. To be flexible with the tasks required for the business, depending on the needs of Oz Farm, which may include tasks other than those related strictly to Job Description
Physical Requirements of the Job
1. Employee must be able to do physical farm work including harvesting, hoeing, stake pounding, and digging
2. Drive and operate farm vehicles, tractors, and small machines
3. Ability to lift up to 60lbs
4. Handle use of tools and machinery
Responsibility of Community Member
We are looking for someone who enjoys living communally, working closely and making decisions with others, and is a thoughtful communicator. The nature of living and working together is unique; a strong sense of self awareness, boundaries & needs, and the ability to communicate respectfully is important
1.Participate in weekly staff meetings
2. Abide by all Oz Farm Policies & Protocol
3. Participate in community cooking rotation
4. Respect & care for communal spaces
5. Maintain kindness, communication, and care for other community members
1. Compensation of this position is commensurate with experience
2. 3 days paid sick leave and 4 weeks vacation in the slow season.
3. On- Site private cabin with power, running water, compact kitchen, storage, wood, propane
4. Oz provides bulk staple foods and produce from the farm
5. Staff can participate in Oz Farm courses and events free of charge and use the Oz farm facilities
Experience, Qualifications, and Skills
1. At least three year of experience as a manager of annual and perennial food, flower, and herb production on a farm scale
2. Commitment to organic farming practices and philosophies with comprehensive knowledge on small scale, sustainable farming practices and synergy between food systems, society, and the natural world
3. Knowledge of maintaining soil health, irrigation systems, composting, pest and weed control etc.
4. Familiarity with adhering to CCOF rules and regulations
5. Experience managing and educating apprentices
6. Excellent interpersonal skills to involve communication skills, time management, prioritizing, and delegating
7. Ability to be self-motivated and self-managing and to work both independently and collectively
8. Good CA DMV record
9. Excellent record-keeping skills and computer literacy where necessary
10. Passion for Oz Farm’s mission and work to educate apprentices, grow food for our community, and provide a beautiful space for retreats and events
Please refer to www.ozfarm.com for background on Oz Farm and our programs.
We are accepting applications until position is filled.
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and list of current references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Maintenance Position.” Please tell us a bit about yourself and why you want to join the Oz Farm Community.
Women, non-binary, LGBT, BIPOC, couples and families encouraged to apply.
Please email email@example.com with any questions regarding this position. Thank you.
Oz Farm does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.