Who we are
Rancho Soquel is a 115 acre property in Soquel, CA, currently in development as an organic production farm featuring mixed vegetables, orchards, and a variety of pastured livestock. It is also under development as the private estate of the owner.
Location: Soquel, CA
Reports to: Owner
Interested in being a part of a farm start up and overseeing the development of a small-scale ag business on a large private estate? Do you want to work and learn with expert consultants in regenerative agronomy, pasture management, nutrient-dense vegetable production, orchard management, and dairy operations? Do you want to participate in the development of facilities to support the farm production? We are in search of someone to help bring this complex and beautiful vision to life.
What you will do (not limited to the following):
• Drive and oversee all aspects of 3+ acres of diverse organic vegetable operation
• Manage daily work flow for farm crew
• Coordinate sowing/planting, weeding, pick and pack
• Design and employ systems to ensure efficient work flow
• Develop sales and marketing strategies for produce, eggs, and value-added products
• Keep detailed records (organic certification, compost production, crop plans, vendors, sales, etc.)
• Track all aspects of farm production with Tend - a software platform built to help manage small organic farms
• Facilitate a safe work environment
• Work closely with the owner to set annual, quarterly, monthly, and weekly goals and effectively plan for their execution
• Ensure that all equipment is maintained to the highest levels
• Extensive experience with organic vegetable production in an organic setting, including irrigation, crop knowledge, fertility, post-harvest handling, cultivation, crop planning, etc.
• Experience being an integral part of running a small business from the ground up
• Broad understanding of how soil health can be created (or destroyed)
• Enough equipment maintenance experience to effectively problem solve issues
• Ability to self-motivate and work alone or with a team
• General handiness and excellent problem solving skills
• Commitment to giving and receiving direct, timely, and constructive feedback
• Willingness to be flexible and shift priorities
• Able to perform physically demanding work, outdoors, on a slope, in hot/inclement weather
• Ability to lift 50lbs
• Written and spoken Spanish
• Local knowledge around site appropriate farm practices and where/who to go to for what
• Knowledge around organic farming trends, innovations, and best practices
• Pasture and livestock management experience
• Organic farm management experience
• Experience operating skid loader and other heavy machinery
This is a salaried, full-time position w/benefits. Compensation DOE.
Most work performed outdoors; regular exposure to dirt, dust, noise, adverse weather conditions and mechanical hazards when operating farm tools/equipment. The employee is frequently required to stand, bend, grasp, perform repetitive movements, balancing, climbing, driving, kneeling, pushing, reaching, sitting, twisting, walking, & crawling.
Please send me a cover letter and your resume to the email address of: firstname.lastname@example.org.