Coastal Roots Farm is seeking a full‐time, year‐round Farm Post-Harvest and Distribution Coordinator to support our efforts to share fresh fruits and vegetables with the community, especially those who lack access to fresh and healthy food. We distribute our food through an on‐site pay‐what‐you‐ can farm stand, off‐site pop‐up markets, and deliver directly to individuals and to local hunger relief organizations. Since inception in 2014, the Farm has donated nearly 100,000 pounds of fresh produce to the food insecure community here in San Diego. We serve and welcome people of all backgrounds and strive to ensure that everyone in our community has fair and equal access to fresh, healthy food.
The Farm Post-Harvest and Distribution Coordinator is responsible for all Farm food distribution efforts and will build strong and impactful relationships with our community and key partners. They will work with the Impact and Evaluation Manager, the Vegetable Production Coordinator, and the Farm Manager to support and ensure successful and efficient implementation of distributions both on‐site and off‐site. This includes coordinating all aspects of post-harvest, wash station, food safety, and food delivery to the community. As a key “face” of Coastal Roots Farm, this role requires a radically welcoming and outgoing individual, with a passion for building relationships, creating impactful programs, supporting food security efforts, and for building a local and sustainable food system.
Reports directly to the Impact and Evaluation Manager
Wage is commensurate with experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Farm Distribution Coordinator will work indoors and outdoors. The position must be capable of moving objects and vehicles as needed. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
Delivery van, Kubota RTV, farm truck, hand tools (for harvest work), computer/laptop, and tablet/iPad.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.
Distribution Essential Duties and Responsibilities (65% of role)
• Stewarding strong and successful relationships with our community and our emergency food system partners.
• Acting as the “face” of the Farm, providing a radically welcoming and warm experience for everyone we serve.
• Coordinating all necessary tasks associated with reaching our goal of distributing approximately 40,000 pounds of produce annually.
• Coordinating and staffing all phases of distributions, including post-harvest and wash, market setup/breakdown, produce deliveries, sales and operations, customer service, and market breakdown.
• Coordinating administrative tasks related to distributions and impact and evaluation, including emailing, calling, meeting, planning, scheduling, impact data entry, ordering supplies, etc.
• Coordinating partnerships and pickups with individuals, hunger relief organizations, and onsite catering.
• Ensuring quality control of produce and food distribution areas/vehicles, includes cleaning and organizing all distribution vehicles, coolers, and spaces.
• Identifying market needs and opportunities.
• Other Farm program and communication support as needed at the discretion of supervisors.
Production and Post-Production Essential Duties and Responsibilities (35% of role)
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinating the post-harvest packing of produce for distributions/storage, ensuring produce is packed and organized effectively and most efficiently for all upcoming distributions and to ensure proper protocols.
• Coordinating the operations of the post-harvest wash station and sharing wash-station tasks, ensuring all food safety, quality, and safety SOPs are followed effectively and according to FSMA compliance
• Keeping all walk-in coolers organized and clean, tracking amounts of bulk items and storage on-hand, and organizing the distribution and donation of produce.
• Ordering all supplies involved with produce and egg distributions, including cartons, twist ties, bags, etc.
• Coordinating timely with production staff to accurately convey produce needs at distribution outlets.
• Assisting the production team with production tasks, including harvests.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• Ability to work a shifting schedule, including evenings and Sundays
• Outstanding communication skills
• Superb internal and external customer service abilities
• Impeccable interpersonal skills and ability to create authentic relationships with people
• Knowledge and passion for Jewish community farming, food justice, and/or food systems, etc.
• High level of responsibility, reliability, motivation and a willingness to learn
• Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative, team environment
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong eye for visual design and presentation
• Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office
• Ability to lift heavy boxes and stand for long periods of time
• A valid and clean driver’s license, experience driving a delivery truck preferred
• Must be available to work as scheduled, with some seasonal fluctuation, as needed
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
• Two or more years of experience working at an organic vegetable farm, CSA and farm market
• Two or more years of retail or customer service experience, food retail or farmers markets
• Experience working with social media
• Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Please go to https://coastalrootsfarm.org/about/#jobs to apply online.