Job title: Farm Production and Sustainability Manager
Position type: Full-Time
World Farmers is hiring a Farm Production and Sustainability Coordinator who will provide mentorship in crop production to immigrant and refugee farmers at Flats Mentor Farm (FMF) and leadership in maintaining the sustainability of the 70-acre parcel of land. This person will develop personal relationships with the farmers at FMF and provide technical assistance in small-farm enterprise development. This job requires someone with the capacity and passion to build relationships with our farmers of ethnically- and socially-diverse backgrounds to support their existing cultural crop production techniques, while introducing new techniques. This position requires a high level of autonomy and initiative and the ability to work across cultures. The Farm Production and Sustainability Coordinator will be expected to participate in all aspects of World Farmers, including envisioning new programs and executing other related organizational programs.
- Building strong relationships with FMF farmers and assisting them in understanding best production and planting practices in the New England climate.
- Assisting farmers in developing crop production schedules to maximize income.
- Developing and leading production and sustainability trainings and TA to FMF farmers.
- Working with World Farmers staff to assess farmers’ crop availability, maintaining harvest lists
from week to week, and supporting farmers in market planning as needed.
- Assisting in harvest and post-harvest handling and management with farmers as needed.
- Ensuring completion of all evaluation and reporting needs for program efforts.
- Passion, patience, and curiosity in learning about ethnic crops, and the creativity and initiative to problem-solve and strategize with and for the immigrant farmers at Flats Mentor Farm.
- Ability to be effective in a dynamic, multicultural/multilingual work environment.
- Interest in walking the farm and speaking 1:1 with farmers of varied English proficiency.
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and working in cooperation and collaboration with staff and farmers.
- Three years’ experience in agricultural production or degree in a related field.
- Detailed knowledge of crop production including soil health, crop varieties, transplanting, pest
ID management and prevention, and harvest/post-harvest techniques.
- Work in office and communicate effectively with written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Skills in construction, tractor-use, and/or irrigation.
To apply, please email three references, résumé & a brief cover letter including an explanation of your interests in agriculture, working with other cultures, and/or crop sales and marketing to Jessy Gill at email@example.com. Please combine all documents into one PDF application. Application review starts immediately, interviewing to start mid to late February 2018.
World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically under-represented communities.