About this Position: The Farm Program Manager will be responsible for strategically managing small-scale production farming at Zenger Farm and the Beginning Farmer Apprenticeship. Farm
operations include four acres of annual and perennial crops grown for 180 weekly CSA shares and local restaurants. Our apprenticeship program trains four full season and eight short season interns in small scale organic farming production. This position will also supervise a farm Crew Leader to be hired in 2022.
About the Program and the Farm:
- Read about our programs and farming practices on our website
Zenger Farm provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, in accordance with applicable federal laws.
Beginning Farmer Apprenticeship Program Management:
• Informed by social justice principles and anti-racist analysis, hold the strategic vision and design for our farmer apprenticeship programs
• Recruit, hire, and supervise training and orientation of farm staff including beginning farmer apprentices and seasonal interns.
• Provide educational workshops and hands-on training in sustainable farming for apprentices, staff, and other farmers
• Lead curriculum development and partnership alignment for farmer apprenticeship program
• Work with Grants Manager to find, apply for, and manage grants to support program goals—including grant writing, budget development, implementation, evaluation, participant tracking and reporting
• Manage the CSA including planning, outreach, sign-ups, education, staffing, and pick-up
• Maintain and analyze records to optimize farm production income
• Create and regularly update annual Farm Operations budget and program planning documents
• Working closely with communications staff, design ongoing communications and engagement plan and assets for CSA program
• Develop restaurant accounts including recruitment, relationship building, and weekly sales/deliveries through the season
• Support crop planning and completion of field work in collaboration with the Crew Leader (fieldwork includes mowing, spreading, tilling, seeding, grafting, planting, flaming, cultivating, trellising, pruning, harvesting, hauling, washing, and packing produce for sale)
• Support Crew Leader in maintaining farm operations infrastructure and systems including the propagation greenhouse, hoop houses, caterpillar tunnels, irrigation, wash & pack, walk-in coolers, barn, hand tools and other equipment
• Small machine operation and maintenance, including a weed whacker, chainsaw, pressure washer and 2-wheel tractors and implements
• Represent Zenger Farm at conferences and events
• Participate in regular staff meetings, trainings and team building events to promote strong cross-program collaboration, board-staff relationships, and a work culture of mutual support, accountability & organizational learning
• Network and develop relationships with other farms and organizations in the Portland region and nationwide
• All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director(s)
In the beginning this position will be supported part-time by our outgoing Farm Managers so we encourage you to apply even if you have a mix of experience managing, supervising, and educating in different settings.
• Passion for Zenger Farm’s mission
• Lived experience or significant experience working with Black, Indigenous and communities of color
• 2+ years experience managing a 2+ acre organic CSA vegetable farm including supervision, education and training of crew, apprentices and/or volunteers.
• Experience applying anti-racist practices to supervision, program design, curriculum, management, and implementation
• Exceptional communications skills and ability to create positive group dynamics
• Organized and detail-oriented with the ability to balance multiple, competing priorities
• Valid driver’s license (we use a 20’ cargo van for deliveries in the city)
• Strong word processing, spreadsheet management and comfort utilizing databases, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office
• Ability to lift and carry 50lbs and work outside in inclement weather on uneven terrain
• Experience applying trauma-informed practices in a farm setting
• Fluency in Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Somali