We are an ever evolving family farm made up of vineyards, fruit orchards, forests, olive orchards and a vegetable gardens in St. Helena, CA, newly putting regenerative systems in place throughout the property. As we move into 100% organic, regenerative farming we are looking for someone who is open-minded, passionate about land-stewardship, team-oriented and eager to learn. This person should have some experience in biodynamic and/or regenerative agriculture so that she/he can help with planning and implementation of new practices. She/He will help in all aspects of production, harvest, property maintenance, composting operations, animal management (only chickens and ducks for now, working on integrating sheep for holistic planned grazing and shearing) and other manual work.
Additionally, we are working on a donation program for the excess food we grow, a small donation-only farm stand for the community, and an internship program. We have a new addition to this land, adjacent to the current property that includes a fruit orchard and vegetable garden that need to be significantly revitalized. We plan to implement practices to increase soil health and carbon sequestration in these areas as well as the rest of the property. This team member will be involved in developing these ideas, and many others and play a significant role in executing. Responsibilities do not extend to the vineyards but will be in synch with vineyard management and landscaping team.
Position involves working with farm owner and team to develop and implement long-term regenerative plan for the entire property, prioritizing daily activities with the garden consultant, head gardener and property manager and working closely with a small team to make sure all systems are working symbiotically.
Commitment of 40 hours per week, 5 days a week.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparing soil for planting
- Watering garden daily
- Moving chicken trailers for grazing, gathering eggs and assisting in creating grazing schedule
- Feeding the ducks, moving them when needed and cleaning their tub
- Maintaining orchard and garden plantings, as well as crops planted throughout the property (aside from vines and olive trees)
- Work in a team atmosphere along with other permanent and seasonal workers.
- Harvest and packing of produce and assembling packages to donate and for potential farm stand, keeping track of all yields, excess, waste and donations
- Keeping records of inputs used on all crops and harvests.
- Organizing the greenhouse and sheds
- Other activities as designated by farm owner and head gardener.
- All of these tasks will be worked on with the rest of the farm team as we are a small, close team!
Education & Experience:
- English required, some Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Valid drivers license
- comfortable doing manual labor
- Healthy physical condition and ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Experience using and basic maintenance of farm tools and equipment, including tractor, saw, shovel, and other implements.
- Experience in biodynamic organic farming, permaculture or regenerative farming is required. Education in this area is helpful but not required.
- Good organization and attention to detail
Please email Olivia Camille at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.