Woolman is hiring a Farmer and Workday Coordinator at Woolman Farm!
Farmer and Workday Coordinator, Woolman at Sierra Friends Center
This is two part-time positions (30 hours/week farming and 10 hours/week workday coordination) put together to create one full time position. We welcome applications for the full 40h/week job or for one or the other of the positions on their own. The farmer supports the farm manager in rebuilding farm infrastructure post fire and implementing a self-sustaining organic farm business. Activities include, seeding, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, harvest, washing and packing produce, building, driving deliveries, and occasional tractor work. This position will spend 25 hours a week at the Woolman farm, 5 hours a week at an off-campus farm site and 10 hours a week coordinating Woolman volunteer workdays throughout the 240-acre campus.
About the Farm
Woolman Farm is a 1.7 acre intensive, low-till, organic production farm located on the Sierra Friends Center campus. The focus of the farm crops this season will be cutting greens, lettuce, tomatoes, and cut flowers. The tool shed, fence, irrigation system and greenhouse are in the process of being rebuilt after a recent fire and we expect to get to full production by fall. The farm will sell to Woolman, through an online marketplace, and to restaurants and institutions.
40 hours a week 5/15/2021-11/30/2021, heavier workload during peak farming season.
Must work some weekends when needed.
Employee is non-exempt. $15/hour
Full job description and more info about Woolman: https://woolman.org/2021/03/22/job-opening-farmer-and-workday-coordinator/
• Plants, cultivates, harvests, cleans, packs and delivers produce to buyers
• Builds markets and maintains professional relationships with buyers for robust farm sales.
• Supports with planning all farm systems, and acquiring materials and supplies
• Supports with building farm infrastructure, maintenance and care of farm equipment.
• Supports with CCOF certification and record keeping, and county agriculture paperwork
• Manages farm volunteers and hosts occasional groups & farm tours.
Woolman Workday Coordination
• Develops a Woolman Workday program that includes identifying tasks, setting up Workdays, recruiting, supervising and acknowledging volunteers for a variety of jobs.
• Includes supervising annual AmeriCorps teams, and Family Work Camp and Alumni Work Camp projects.
• Works with the Caretaker/Maintenance Manager to identify post fire clean-up projects on campus, general landscape maintenance and light construction projects. Projects may include cutting, hauling and chipping tree debris, restoration projects, trail maintenance, rebuilding footbridges, painting buildings, chopping/splitting firewood etc.
Skills and Qualifications
• A love for farming and physical labor with high motivation.
• Interest in farming as a career, organic farming experience a plus.
• Experience with lettuce and/or cutting green production a plus
• Enthusiasm for, and a track record of successful cultivation of high quality produce.
• Can work outside and adapt to variable weather conditions and has physical stamina.
• Can lift equipment and materials necessary to complete farm tasks and activities
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Experience driving tractors a plus.
• Basic plumbing, carpentry, and small engine maintenance skills preferred
• Comfortable in demanding, high paced, fun work environment.
How to apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Attn: Malaika Bishop
Application deadline: 5/1
Start date: 5/15