First Cut Farm is a lean and mean certified organic mixed vegetable farm operated by Sam Bowhay. We are located in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State, an agricultural wonderland! The Skagit Valley is located 70 miles north of Seattle and 30 miles south of Bellingham. 2022 will be our 4th season in operation. We grow snap beans, potatoes, bok choy, and onions on about 20 acres for the wholesale market.
We manage to grow about 20 acres with less than 3 full time employees because we have a focused crop plan and do almost everything mechanically. We have good access to equipment and other resources thanks to a close working relationship with our neighbor farm Ralph’s Greenhouse, an amazing 250 acre organic vegetable farm that has been around for 30 years. While working at First Cut Farm, you will also get to experience a lot about how Ralph’s Greenhouse grows vegetables.
You will work closely with Sam and one or two other employees to grow, harvest, and sell 20 acres of organic vegetables in 2022. You will learn to perform all aspects of field crop production including: tillage, cultivation, irrigation, materials application, farm equipment operation and maintenance, direct seeding crops, mechanical harvest, and bulk crop harvest.
You will spend A LOT of time in the tractor seat operating equipment safely and effectively. You will spend A LOT of time moving irrigation pipes and the Bauer boom around, especially if we have another hot and dry summer. You will get stronger. You will keep an eye out for emerging problems and communicate them in order to find a solution. You will problem solve weird tractor puzzles. You will pull at least a few weeds by hand. You will help harvest 200K+ lbs potatoes.
Be prepared to spend long hours sitting, standing, bending, twisting, squatting and kneeling in all weather conditions while carrying out repetitive tasks and lifting heavy/awkward things.
• Start date: March 2022 (flexible)
• Full-time position (approximately 30-60 hours/week)
• March-October full-time; very flexible scheduling through winter with full-time hours available if requested
• Typical busy season weekly schedule: Monday-Friday 7:00-5:00 Saturdays if needed 7-12
• Expect longer days during the growing season. Start time may shift earlier or later depending on conditions.
• ~$15-19/hour DOE plus fall/winter bonuses if we had a successful season
• Overtime pay: Time and a half above 55 hours/week
• Paid vacation & sick leave
• WA State Paid Family Medical Leave
• Free farm produce
• Learning opportunities!
• Perform tractor work, including but not limited to: primary tillage, fertilizing, cultivating, flame weeding, seeding, spraying, mowing, mechanical harvester operation, etc.
• Make adjustments to equipment based on soil moisture, soil type, crop etc.
• Communicate clearly with Sam and other team members regarding tractor work priorities, equipment scheduling/use, and repair needs
• Perform maintenance and repairs on equipment, vehicles, tools and facilities
• Keep food safety and organic certification records as needed
• Help ensure other equipment operators are adjusting and using all equipment safely and properly
• Contribute ideas regarding equipment priorities, mechanization and systems improvements that will increase efficiency and reduce wear & tear on our team
• Harvest quickly and neatly in the summer and fall
• Other farm tasks as needed
• Desire to work with and learn from a wide range of cultures and personality types
• Prior experience with tractor/machinery operation, preferably in a vegetable production setting
• Demonstrated mechanical skills and mechanical aptitude/inclination
• Excellent problem-solving skills; resourceful
• Able to work independently and maintain focus for long periods while keeping up communication with other team members
• Good time management skills; able to shift tasks quickly based on changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Strong work ethic and positive attitude; able to keep up morale throughout long days of hard/monotonous work
• Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help/clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
• Willing to jump in and help out as needed
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Physically fit; able and willing to work long hours in any weather and lift 50+ lbs repeatedly
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record (you will be added to our commercial vehicle insurance) and cell phone access
• Willingness to follow COVID-19 protocols, including any required mask mandates
• Spanish skills, or strong desire to learn Spanish on the fly
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject 'Job Application'