Soil Born Farms Urban Agriculture & Education Project is a non-profit educational farm in Sacramento, California. Our programs focus on promoting health and providing experiential learning opportunities for youth and adults, producing healthy food, improving access to healthy food for all and modeling land and environmental stewardship.
The American River Ranch, a 55-acre historic ranch located within the American River Parkway, is the permanent home of Soil Born Farms. It provides a wonderfully diverse landscape to engage both youth and adults in hands-on activities educating and connecting them with the natural world, healthy food, healthy eating, job and life skills, hard work, and service opportunities.
Position requires a passion for growing high quality organic food using ecological and regenerative agriculture practices. The ideal candidate must be able to clearly exhibit an understanding of the pace and work ethic required for successful production farming. They must also show a desire to collaborate with other farm team members, teach, learn, embrace challenges, and persist through setbacks. This is a full-time, year-round position on a 55-acre urban farm located along the American River in Sacramento, CA
• Greenhouse work
• Transplant, irrigate, cultivate, harvest
• Operate farm machinery
• Pest management
• Wash and pack produce
• Deliveries and on-site farm stand sales
• Lead work groups
• Prune, thin fruit, irrigate, and harvest
• Fertility and disease management
• Plant trees
• Lead work groups
Contribute to Soil Born Farms mission and culture
• Interact with public
• Event support
• Teach mini classes and lessons as needed
• Play role in year-end fundraising
• Demonstrate a commitment to personal growth and straight talk principles
● At least 1-2 years of experience in sustainable agricultural systems
● Ability to work quickly
● Team skills: ability to follow directions, multi-task, self-motivate, communicate directly
● Ability to work with, and empower people of all ages and backgrounds
● Interest in developing skills in leadership, communication, self-reflection and personal growth.
Please email cover letter, resume, and two references to Shawn Harrison (Founder and Co-Director) at email@example.com. Position open until filled.