Program: Food Production and Farming Education – American River Ranch
Reports To: Farm Management Team
Direct Supervisor: Farm Manager
Position requires a passion for educating young farmers and growing high-quality organic fruit and vegetables in an evolving regenerative production system. The ideal candidate must be able to clearly exhibit an understanding of the pace and work ethic required for successful production farming. They must also show a desire to learn, embrace challenges, and persist through setbacks. This is a full-time, year-round position.
Soil Born Farms Urban Agriculture & Education Project is a non-profit educational farm in Sacramento, California. Our programs focus on promoting health and providing experiential learning opportunities for youth and adults, producing healthy food, improving access to healthy food for all and modeling land and environmental stewardship.
The American River Ranch, a 55-acre historic ranch located within the American River Parkway, is the permanent home of Soil Born Farms. It provides a wonderfully diverse landscape to engage both youth and adults in hands-on activities educating and connecting them with the natural world, healthy food, healthy eating, job and life skills, hard work, and service opportunities.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Greenhouse work
● Transplant, irrigate, cultivate, harvest
● Operate farm machinery
● Pest management
● Wash and pack produce
● Deliveries and on-site farmstand sales
● Lead work groups
● Orchard Care
● Prune, thin fruit, irrigate, and harvest
● Fertility and disease management
● Plant trees
● Lead work groups
● Contribute to Soil Born Farms mission and culture
● Interact with public
● Event support
● Teach mini classes and lessons as needed
● Play role in year-end fundraising
● Demonstrate a commitment to personal growth and straight talk principles
Hours and Compensation:
● Wages commensurate with experience
● 90% medical, dental and vision after 90 days
● 5 PTO (paid time off) accrual after 90 days
● Opportunities for advancement
Please email cover letter, resume, and two references by September 30, 2021 to Tyler Stowers, Farm Manager, at email@example.com. Position open until filled.